Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
right, a few months ago I asked here about the difference between the 5D and 5D mk2 and is it worth it. I was cleanly shot down for purchasing and sticking with my D90 and assorted lenses. This equipment has since been sold (babies are expensive and time consuming, especially when you have 2 kids).

Now, just for kicks I enetered my panorama shot to a company internal competition and surprisingly won. First reaction: "WTF??", second reaction after reading the prize: "WTF..AGAIN!!!"
So I won a 5D mk2 body. Great, I have no lenses and no Canon gear. all that's left from my original body is my Tripod :confused: .
but on the bright side, I have a friend who sold me his Tamron 28-75 f2.8 zoom REALLY cheap.
now, while this is a ok lens and has gotten good reviews even for the full frame cameras, my question is this:
I will purchase another lens and while people will flame me, it will have to be a cheap one. The only thing I found with "cheap" but really good and sharp is the 50mm f1.8 or 1.4 USM. those represent the absolute maximum I can spend anyway AFTER xmas.

Can anyone point me to other sharp portrait or semi telephoto lenses or give me a comment about the 50mm on the 5d mk2?

and please I cannot afford L glass as of yet...
btw, the shot I have posted here alrady in the past: http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=199995&d=1256316468

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
The 28-135 should be readily available used because it is commonly sold as a kit lens (for the 40D, 50D, and 7D). It gets slagged by the high-brows because it doesn't have a red stripe, but it is actually a pretty good lens with IS and a very useful zoom range.

As a kit lens it adds $200 to the price of the body alone, so look to pay about $200.

And congratulations on teh win! Care to post the shot?

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Hi thanks for the info 28-135 you are right it does get slagged. so is it good enough for full frame? I mean does it vignette?

the shot is at the bottom of my post as I posted it in macrumors before...

thanks again..

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
vignetting should be the least of your worries.

I'm guessing your budget is $400. there aren't any zooms in your budget that will be better than the 28-75, but if you don't need a fast zoom, you could consider selling the 28-75 for some profit and then switch to a 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 or 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 II ($150-200 used).

.Can anyone point me to other sharp portrait or semi telephoto lenses or give me a comment about the 50mm on the 5d mk2?

dunno what to say about the 50's...vignetting wide-open, which is only solved by having a huge front element (see Sigma 50), decent at wide apertures. both Canon models have nervous bokeh.

the telephoto lenses in your budget are the 85/1.8 and 100/2. maybe a used 70-300 IS, I'm not sure how much those sell for.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Congrats on the win, what a great prize! (and nice pano shot)
The 50 1.4 is a great lens why not go with that? I actually prefer that over my 24-70L most of the time

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
Hi thanks for the info 28-135 you are right it does get slagged. so is it good enough for full frame? I mean does it vignette?

the shot is at the bottom of my post as I posted it in macrumors before...

thanks again..

It's just my opinion, but I think it is a fine lens. It's restriction is the f3.5-5.6; the compromise is the image stabilization. The build quality is not "L", but the compromise is that price isn't "L", either. I used this lens for about 6 months before finding this review, which reflects my experience accurately.

No, you won't get any vignetting, it is made for the full size sensor/35mm film.

It is the lens I keep fitted to my film EOS-1N, if that means anything. I tried walking around with the 50mm 1.8, and felt restricted. So If you want a zoom instead of a prime, as I do, it is a good choice. Of course, if you're OK with the prime, the 50mm 1.4 is also a good choice. Both represent good value.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Unless the HD video is really important to you, I would sell the 5DII and pick up a 5DI (or a nikon if you prefer). That will free up ~ $1500 that can be used to buy nice glass or in your pocket.

The resale value of bodies drops quickly at the beginning of their life, so I find owning a generation or two older gives me great gear at a fraction of the cost of current state of the art. Just a suggestion, congrats on the win and have fun.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Unless the HD video is really important to you, I would sell the 5DII and pick up a 5DI (or a nikon if you prefer). That will free up ~ $1500 that can be used to buy nice glass or in your pocket.

Thats good advice, the original 5d is such a great body!

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Thanks for all the advice guys.
No disrespect about the selling part. the 5dmk2 is like a dream camera for me and i do want to take video but even if i wouldn't, selling it would be like selling a brand new car to get an older one because it was also very good and i could buy some upgrades for it.

Ok that analogy is pretty bad but still. Since I won, i really don't want to get rid of it as I didn't really pay for it, so I'd rather use and cherish and not having to worry about a new body for a few years.

I think I will buy that 28-135 or the 50mm 1.4 lens and 2 L lenses next year.

Cheers guys

//F

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
well I suggest you getting the 50 f/1.4 beside the 28-135. Get the 24-105 or 24-70 (I know the big price gap, but just an opinion) instead of the 28-135 in my opinion.

Besides the f/1.4 will open new world for you in terms of depth-of-field.

Congrats on your win and enjoy the new camera :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.