Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eddified

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
I have a 2019 MacBookPro16,1

When I first got it, it seemed to me that the fans were way louder than my previous MacBook. The fans seemed to always be at full blast. I took it into an authorized Apple repair shop and they couldn't see any issue with it.

Fast forward to today... I see 1000% CPU being used by "kernel_task". I google and find out that "kernel_task" can just take up CPU so that other programs can't use CPU, so as to keep temps down. I'm not sure if that is the case for me, but perhaps it is. So today I installed Mac Fan Control. I'd like to know if these are normal temps for just using the MacBookPro for browsing, email, etc (I do have a lot of tabs open though):
Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 6.23.10 PM.png

1. Are these normal temps for normal use? (I'm not running anything CPU intensive, other than "kernel_task" at times)
  2. Has anyone else noticed loud fans on the MacBookPro16,1 ?
  3. Any recommendation for me to figure out my "kernel_task" issues, do you think they are related to my constant loud fan issue? (I already checked, all kexts are by Apple)

ginamong

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2022
same model here, those temps seem a bit high. what os? 12.6.1 here.

here's mine right now, but i am sitting in front of the aircon and not doing much on the computer.

have you opened up the back case and blown out gunk and dust from the fans? when i notice mine getting a bit louder than usual i open the back up and find a fair bit of junk in there. i probably clean it out once every 6 months, but i work on the bed a lot.

EDIT: actually i notice your 5500M is at 71 and mine is at 35 - have you turned graphics switching off? go into the battery settings - power adapter and see if "Automatic graphics switching" is selected. you may be using the ATI card instead of the intel one when you might not need to.

1677653367282.png

eddified

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Automatic graphics switching is On. I'm using macOS 13.2

The laptop sat in my bag, unplugged, overnight. When I pulled the laptop out of the bag this morning and looked at the temps, the Radeon Pro was already around 60 degrees.

eddified

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Hm..... I just realized the bag was sitting on the heater vent. I won't place it there anymore, haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.