Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lapapaya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
hey, I am very impressed by the new aw3 lte but despite the fact I love my iPad, escpecially since iOS 11, I prefer Android phones, namely Galaxy notes (Multitasking and spen). Nevertheless I would like to replace my Huawei Watch with the new aw and thought about buying an iPhone 6 just to configure the aw but using the SIM card in my galaxy. The aw shouldn’t need the iPhone in everyday life and is able to synchronise via wlan and lte, receiving sms etc. .... Do you think this could work ?

Sincerely Fabian

perezr10

macrumors 68010
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
It would probably work. The LTE Watch was probably a huge gift for rich Android users.

Ah, I just noticed you want to use the sim in your Galaxy. Maybe not. I originally thought you were willing to have a separate phone number for your watch.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
hey, I am very impressed by the new aw3 lte but despite the fact I love my iPad, escpecially since iOS 11, I prefer Android phones, namely Galaxy notes (Multitasking and spen). Nevertheless I would like to replace my Huawei Watch with the new aw and thought about buying an iPhone 6 just to configure the aw but using the SIM card in my galaxy. The aw shouldn’t need the iPhone in everyday life and is able to synchronise via wlan and lte, receiving sms etc. .... Do you think this could work ?

Sincerely Fabian

It will have the same number with your iPhone 6, not Galaxy.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
I will be trying that out.
I have a Galaxy I carry everyday and I have a iphone at home without a sim card. when I carry the iphone I pull the sim card out of my galaxy and stick it in my iphone.
I will set up my LTE AW3 with that sim card and see if it will receive calls when my iphone stays home without a sim card but connected to wifi.
If it does not work, I will return the watch and get a wifi only aw3.
The reason I carry galaxy everyday instead of the iphone is because I do not carry my wallet with me.
samsung pay works everywhere I go and I don't need cash or credit card.

perezr10

macrumors 68010
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I would think that if the Watch has its own sim, the mobile carrier should relay data to both SIM cards. In theory it shouldn’t matter if you stuck the main sim into an Android after you pair your Apple Watch. I’m now thinking there’s an 80% chance this will work.

You could then just throw your iPhone 6 into a drawer and use it to configure and update your watch.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
The way I read what the OP is asking is this.

1. Buy an iPhone
2. Move the SIM from his Android to his iPhone
3. Set up AW-LTE using the iPhone
4. Move the SIM back to his Android

His question is whether this would work and whether there may be some unintended issues. I'm thinking it would work just fine, but you'd still have to keep the iPhone around to load apps and do updates. I'm thinking that you'd probably have to swap the SIMs every so often too.

lapapaya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
First: Thanks alll of you for your answers - Second: I’m sorry for the possible misunderstandings, my English isn’t as well as it was and especially worse than it should be . Im glad to hear that some of you believe that my plan could work. @edhchoe: I would really appreciate if you could share your results with us soon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.