Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I saw these on another forum and they may be photoshopped but I think they're about as convincing as any pre-release photos I've ever seen of a camera, and they are apparently leaked from a German advertisement agency (Pentax's European headquarters are in Hamburg). Anyway, here's the long anticipated update to Pentax's K100D series of DLSR's. Can't wait to see what the K20D will have up it's sleeve.

One thing to notice is there is a contact at the bottom for a battery grip, something that wasn't available with the K100D series. It's also got a gasket around it similar to the K10D's grip connection so maybe the rumor that the K200D will be weather sealed is true!

SLC

Attachments

• k200frontqc1.jpg
    k200frontqc1.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 111
  • k200backrk8.jpg
    k200backrk8.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 88
  • k200sideol4.jpg
    k200sideol4.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 79
  • k200topgn0.jpg
    k200topgn0.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 93
  • k200bottomji6.jpg
    k200bottomji6.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 82

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Do you know if the K200D will be on par with the K10D? What are the speculations in price for the k200d?

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Do you know if the K200D will be on par with the K10D? What are the speculations in price for the k200d?

I'll bet that the price will be about $650 when it comes out, (I think that's about what the K100D cost when it was released). It is supposed to have a 10 megapixel CMOS sensor, and possibly live-view. But I don't think it will be good enough to replace the K10D, it's plain to see from the pictures that the K10D still has a large advantage in external controls. Rumors are that the K10D will remain sandwiched between the K200D series and the new K20D and what ever else they may have planned.

SLC

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
It will be like Nikon's version. The Olympus's that had it early on were different, even their viewfinders were built differently to accomodate it.

Of course Pentax has a history of creating great new ideas, perhaps they've got a trick or two up their sleeve for the live view (assuming this camera has it, which has not been officially confirmed).

SLC

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Sorry for the silly question - I am not familiar with Pentax DSLRs. About the IR transmitter/receiver on the grip, is that for focusing, for a wireless remote, or both? Because if it's for focus assist, that seems like a really stupid location for it. Other than that, it's sure looking nice.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
It's for a wireless shutter release remote. The current K10D has one in this location as well, there's also one on the back on both cameras.

SLC

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Looks like a sweet camera. Maybe the K20D will have some things that will blow me away enough to jump from my K110D straight past the K10D and to the K20D this summer (depending on price.)

Pentax's K200D sure looks nice in these pictures and I can only imagine the K20D looks nice as well.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
That makes a lot more sense than focus assist. I just don't recall having seen many cameras with an IR port on the grip like that.

As far as I know it's only the K10D so far (the front and back IR receiver). The focus assist light comes from the popup flash, it's sort of annoying but anytime you need a focus assist light you should be using flash anyway so I guess it's a smart place to have it. I do think it's clever that Pentax includes a front IR receiver so a person can be in a posed group picture and trigger the camera with a small remote in his/her hand.

SLC

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Definitely a smart decision putting the IR on front like that. It makes a good amount of sense for a family portrait or something similar.

I just saw from a post on another forum some neat focus assist things that can either attach to your hotshoe or tripod screw. They were 4 bulbs instead of 1 and looked pretty neat.

But I really don't have a need for it.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
My E-500 has the IR sensor on the front sort of in between the shutter release and the pop-up flash. I wish I also had one on the back, though. I use a remote for long-exposure shots, and it would be nice not to reach around front of the camera to set it off. It was just the placement on this particular model that was throwing me.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Yeah this one apparently (assuming these photos are real) and the K10D have a IR receiver on both front and back. I've never used it but I'm sure for some it's really handy.

SLC

Macerture

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Dirty Jersey
If I want Live-View I'll buy a point and shoot.

There's no substitute for a quality pentaprism. I'd rather look through glass than stare at a LCD - not too mention - they destroy your vision in low-light conditions. Try composing a subtle light shot with a glaring LCD in your face. There is really no good use for them and the folks who think they're better for Macro shots, I suggest you try a split-prism focusing screen first. You'll love it far more than a battery-eating-glaring-in-your-face-noise-inducing-LCD.. :)

Macerture

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Dirty Jersey
Yeah this one apparently (assuming these photos are real) and the K10D have a IR receiver on both front and back. I've never used it but I'm sure for some it's really handy.

SLC
The Pentax cameras K100D, K100D-Super and K10D have front and rear IR sensors for remote control - It allows the photographer to be either in front or behind the camera. A simple but valuable feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.