Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pavlova

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2020
Hi everyone

I have a question regarding the new SE screen and I need your opinion and advice.

My mum bought the new SE after my recommendation and first thing she bought for it was a glass screen protector.
She then went to a phone shop to have it fitted as she didnt have experience doing it (you know, alligning it, bubbles etc.)

The guy working there tried to do it but no matter how he tried, it wasnt sticking on the edges. So he took screen protector he was selling and tried again with similar effect.

His comment was that the screen is uneven and has some manufacturing problem and also that it's not a surprise for him as that was one of the purposes of SE - to push all the remaining, sometimes subpar quality parts left from iPhone 8 batch.

You can imagine I was quite upset hearing it after recommending it to my mum and after unsuccessful attempt of buying previous 'new' SE from eBay for her - on that occasion I was scammed but let's not focus on it.

Problem is - she lives in different country so I cannot see for myself but she said she will try to take a photo which then I will post in here.

To me, something like this is unthinkable.

So my questions are:

1. Do you think it’s possible at all that Apple is using screen with some minimal problems knowingly or is it just bad luck.
2. Are there any problems with applying these glass screen protectors to iphone 8 ? Anything about its screen shape, bezels, etc.
3. If it’s really the case and the screen is bent, uneven or has any other problem - how to best approach the situation ?

Thanks

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
It’s because the glass is ever so slightly different on the new SE. Protectors won’t adhere properly to the edges as the glass curves sooner than it did in the older models.

Nothing wrong with the device, but your Mum will just have to be careful for a while until production of the new protectors becomes available. I suggest she goes to the Apple store and buy and have them fit the Belkin one while she waits. That way you know it’s genuine, and it’s also warranted.

Or just pay a bit more and take out Apple Care.

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
It’s the same screen as the iPhone 8. It’s curved in the edges/corners, unlike the old flat SE.

Edit: other users are reporting Apple may have slightly changed the screen from the iPhone 8, and if so it would need an updated screen protector. Rest assured it’s not a quality control issue.

bheathain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2015
You could get her a film protector in the meantime as the glass ones are updated. My matte film protector that I used on our iPhone 8 stuck down fine on my SE2. I think it was an iCarez but not positive.

Pavlova

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2020
Thanks guys, its a big relief to know the money was well spent and its not some kind of fault.

2adamstoon

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2020
I reached out to Spigen when they will release their iPhone SE screen protectors and this is what they said:

"We expect our iPhone SE 2020 tempered glass screen protector to be made available in 2 - 4 weeks."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.