Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OwnedByMyCat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2020
I found a 2018 MacBook Pro for $350 on Craigslist. The seller only wants to ship and says so because of coronavirus. I told them we can meet outside and I wear an N95 mask + a surgical mask over it (which I do when I go anywhere indoors or meet strangers). They replied they see a lot of older family and relatives so they can only ship it. They sent me screenshot of the "About this Mac" which shows the OS and serial number. This seems very suspicious. This communication happened via text message as they left their number on the ad. If someone's laptop has been stolen, can something be done?

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
run don't walk away! I don't believe you can do anything with the serial number as you are not the owner. I maybe wrong on this but nevertheless I would not buy unless you meet them in your town's safe exchange place, usually at the local police station.

Ifti

macrumors 601
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Could always pay via PayPal in order to have their buyer protection?

OwnedByMyCat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2020
I realize this is a scam, but I wanna get this person busted and the original owner to get their Mac back. Is this possible by having the serial number? Can I report them to the police? I have their phone number.

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
FL
We get those kinds of scams all the time on our local Craigslist. Cars, boats, trailers, trucks, computers, jet skis, dogs....

One of the most common features of the ads is that the advertised item does not exist - at least as far as the scammer who placed the ad is concerned. They steal photos and descriptions from other legitimate ads and price them exceedingly low to try to entrap the greedy and naive prospective purchaser.

One of the plentiful and hilarious counter ads locally describes them as North Koreans in a humorous and sarcastic way, i.e., "L'il Fatty, he needs mo' nukes!" and things like that. There's no way to know exactly who places those ads. You can be certain they are crooks. Even if (as a lot of them do) they have a gmail address there's probably no practical way to get Google to act against their shenanigans.

The only slightly effective way to deal with them is to use the Craigslist "Flag" option to get the ad removed.

Sorry 'bout that,

Tom

Reactions: robvas

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
How do you go about finding genuine ads on craigslist? If I cant meet in person and such.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
I realize this is a scam, but I wanna get this person busted and the original owner to get their Mac back. Is this possible by having the serial number? Can I report them to the police? I have their phone number.

Like I said previously I dont believe u can do anything with the serial number, since you are not the owner. You can try to contact Apple to confirm this. The phone number is useless. It will be a prepaid number with no contact info.

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
FL
nat,

If you can't meet, home delivery from Walmart, Amazon etc is your best bet. Not sure how you'd do a transaction using Craigslist without some kind of meeting.

Having said that, I bought a TV using Craigslist - the seller put it in his driveway and I left the cash under a stone he put there for that purpose. If it wasn't as advertised, I'd have left it there. It was, so I bought it.

Tom

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
There almost certainly is no computer. The scam isn’t that a computer is stolen, it’s that they want you to send money. The ”seller” will not be shipping anything. All you can do is report the ad to Craigslist.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
It’s called vaporware - there is no stolen computer so stop with your holier than thou comments about returning the item to its original owner. It’s a scam. Period. Geez.

Reactions: Buck987
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.