Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmcilroy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2019
UK
I recently had to recover my mac and reinstall the os using a start up disk which I created via a website called osxdaily. Since then I have noticed graphic issues, (screen brightness changing and weird pixalated images). See attached image. Any guidance would be great as to how to resolve this.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-04-30 at 21.16.08.png
    Screenshot 2019-04-30 at 21.16.08.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 329

tyc0746

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2019
Liverpool, UK
I don't know what the OSXdaily website process is, but why not just use the built in recovery partition or the internet recovery option?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
What vintage Mac? Maybe the GPU is dying.

Boot into Safe Mode, see if still issues: if so, GPU or something else is dying/broken.

kmcilroy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2019
UK
I don't know what the OSXdaily website process is, but why not just use the built in recovery partition or the internet recovery option?
Using a Macbook Pro Mid 2012, it totally died a couple of months ago and had to use my older imac which isn't compatable with newer versions of osx so I had to use an alternative website to download Mojave and create the startup disk (it wouldnt allow me to download direct from apple as it was not compatable with the older imac).
[doublepost=1556658366][/doublepost]
What vintage Mac? Maybe the GPU is dying.

Boot into Safe Mode, see if still issues: if so, GPU or something else is dying/broken.
Mid 2012 Macbook Pro, thanks, I'll try that.

tyc0746

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2019
Liverpool, UK
It could be that the version you’ve downloaded/installed on the other machine is not compatible with the other machine...maybe doesn’t contain the correct display drivers?

If the broken machine starts up to at least the boot screen, then holding down Command-R at boot will start into the recovery partition which should let you reinstall the version that came with your system.

If you want the latest version that will run on your computer, then Internet Recovery (Command-Option-R)will do something similar, but it takes a long time as it has to download the whole installer to progress.

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
It could be that the version you’ve downloaded/installed on the other machine is not compatible with the other machine...maybe doesn’t contain the correct display drivers?

If the broken machine starts up to at least the boot screen, then holding down Command-R at boot will start into the recovery partition which should let you reinstall the version that came with your system.

If you want the latest version that will run on your computer, then Internet Recovery (Command-Option-R)will do something similar, but it takes a long time as it has to download the whole installer to progress.

The above is sensible. Just wanted to chip in and say that it's (almost certainly) not a virus. I don't want restart the whole "Macs don't get viruses/oh yes they do" argument, but suffice to say that it'd be extremely unlikely (but not 100% impossible, ever).

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Add: this MBP has Intel and Nvidia GPUs, and the machine can be configured to use only the Intel. Some programs/scripts/instructions on the interwebs to assist with that, if the Nvidia is failing.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Is yours 13”? If so likely an issue with the RAM bracket/clips, I’ve seen it before. Try removing each RAM chip individually and testing with one at a time.
It’s not a virus.

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
Definitely not a virus. If you had a virus you would see behavior such as unexpected prompts for information, user credentials, or in the worst cases your system would lock itself down with ransomeware.

Stuff like this just means something is broken.

mrdunderhead

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2015
Simple really 2012 Macbook pro models are known for GPU failures and issues with the screen cable going out I would try the machine if still functional in some capacity to a external monitor and see if the same issues happen if not then its the display going out if it continue's to have issues its the GPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.