Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisWhitney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2017
Hi all,

I have had some issues with my refurb mid 2012 MBP beginning about a year after I purchased it. Wound up replacing (upgrading) the memory due to the 3 beeps issue in late 2015. Replaced it again under warranty this past November due to the same issues and the machine has been ok since then. A week ago it turned itself off while using Safari and then it crashed on Friday while my external HD (used for Time Machine backup) and an external monitor plugged in. After the first failed restart attempt I unplugged both the external HD and monitor thinking they might have prevented it from restarting. Got the gray screen with question mark folder but eventually got it back up and running. I went to plug the external back in to backup once more before leaving for the weekend and that caused the computer to restart itself again. I have used the USB ports since then but haven't plugged the external backup disk back in for fear of having it crash the computer again. Any thoughts on what I can do about the external HD? And how about any thoughts on what can be causing these random kernel panics, restarts, shut downs, etc.? Thanks in advance!

Chris

ChrisWhitney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2017
Update:
Tried the external with another MBP and it mounted with no problems. Currently backing up my machine. Still doesn't solve the crashing problem I'm having though. I think I can rule out memory since I replaced it a few months ago. I've been reading a lot about the SATA cables going bad in these machines. Would a bad SATA cable cause sporadic, unpredictable crashes? Any thoughts on troubleshooting would be much appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.