Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zlloyd1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 6.41.46 AM.png

I posted a question yesterday that I believed was a legitimate query, and after two, somewhat unhelpful responses, it seems to have been locked for any more replies.
Can anyone explain how this could happen please, and Why??
Thanks in advance!!

PS. I am hoping that this post is not erased, or blocked somehow as well.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
View attachment 1663767
I posted a question yesterday that I believed was a legitimate query, and after two, somewhat unhelpful responses, it seems to have been locked for any more replies.
Can anyone explain how this could happen please, and Why??
Thanks in advance!!

PS. I am hoping that this post is not erased, or blocked somehow as well.

Could be because of your avatar.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Because MR started a news article about it. If you scroll to the end of the thread where you posted, there is a link to the active thread. It’s to keep everything in one place.

zlloyd1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Could be because of your avatar.
I have always had this same picture though, and none of my other posts were locked like that.....
Because MR started a news article about it. If you scroll to the end of the thread where you posted, there is a link to the active thread. It’s to keep everything in one place.
I did check that link, but it is not what I was asking about. Similar, I guess somewhat, but not the same thing. My thing was not that it was working slowly, so much that it was working at normal speed, but coming back saying 'Not Responding', but was doing so at normal speed.
As such, that link was not to the same question, but a remotely related question, and I do not see how that is keeping things organized honestly.
If I asked why my car would start, but the lights were not working, I don't want my post to be blocked because someone else asked why the lights are slow to turn on. Those are not the same problem, and have different answers!!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I have always had this same picture though, and none of my other posts were locked like that.....

I did check that link, but it is not what I was asking about. Similar, I guess somewhat, but not the same thing. My thing was not that it was working slowly, so much that it was working at normal speed, but coming back saying 'Not Responding', but was doing so at normal speed.
As such, that link was not to the same question, but a remotely related question, and I do not see how that is keeping things organized honestly.
If I asked why my car would start, but the lights were not working, I don't want my post to be blocked because someone else asked why the lights are slow to turn on. Those are not the same problem, and have different answers!!
does your computer work properly today?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
As others pointed out, a moderator closed the thread because it appeared your question involved the issue in the news thread that was linked.

If you disagree with that decision, please send a note to the administrators using the Contact Us link:

One of the site administrators will review your note and reply to you.

Last edited:

zlloyd1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
does your computer work properly today?
Yes, it did finally start working correctly, as to my initial issue, but my true concern was how the 'Moderators' on this site, are SO QUICK to close down a legitimate question.
I have seen this before on almost any technical support forums involving Apple Macintosh, where the 'Forum Moderators' completely ruin the entire forum experience by seeming to just LIVE to close threads on posters, and I am hoping that is not becoming the routine here also. It almost seems like a power thing for these people. Like they are trying to flex their online authority or something.

I already have stopped trusting the Official Apple Support Communities website for help because the 'Moderators' there are on a constant witch hunt to edit / close threads they feel are not bright glowing positive reviews of all things Apple. To the point where it is practically useless to try and post any questions there at all, that is unless you want to say that Apple Macintosh is wonderful, in which case, your thread may be allowed!!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Yes, it did finally start working correctly, as to my initial issue, but my true concern was how the 'Moderators' on this site, are SO QUICK to close down a legitimate question.
I have seen this before on almost any technical support forums involving Apple Macintosh, where the 'Forum Moderators' completely ruin the entire forum experience by seeming to just LIVE to close threads on posters, and I am hoping that is not becoming the routine here also. It almost seems like a power thing for these people. Like they are trying to flex their online authority or something.

I already have stopped trusting the Official Apple Support Communities website for help because the 'Moderators' there are on a constant witch hunt to edit / close threads they feel are not bright glowing positive reviews of all things Apple. To the point where it is practically useless to try and post any questions there at all, that is unless you want to say that Apple Macintosh is wonderful, in which case, your thread may be allowed!!
Or....alternatively....you could have just reposted your question on the new thread. Without assuming a personal attack on you.

Reactions: Cleartz

zlloyd1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Or....alternatively....you could have just reposted your question on the new thread. Without assuming a personal attack on you.
That is not the point honestly....
The problem is that unless you are excited, and happy about your device not working correctly, they seem to take offense to any postings that are derogatory in any fashion.
You are obviously already upset that Apple Support could not help you, or would not bother to even answer you, so you are here, at the forums trying to get help.
However, Lord Forbid that you express anything but satisfaction, in your posting, for this will almost religiously lead to the thread being closed / edited by these 'Moderators' while they hide behind the 'Terms and Conditions Agreement' or 'Forum Code of Conduct Agreement' either of which are their go to defense on any actions they take.
This is extra disturbing because a Macintosh computer costs nearly 3 times as much as a standard home computer does, and for that much extra money, you should have a right to expect better quality!!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
That is not the point honestly....
The problem is that unless you are excited, and happy about your device not working correctly, they seem to take offense to any postings that are derogatory in any fashion.
You are obviously already upset that Apple Support could not help you, or would not bother to even answer you, so you are here, at the forums trying to get help.
However, Lord Forbid that you express anything but satisfaction, in your posting, for this will almost religiously lead to the thread being closed / edited by these 'Moderators' while they hide behind the 'Terms and Conditions Agreement' or 'Forum Code of Conduct Agreement' either of which are their go to defense on any actions they take.
This is extra disturbing because a Macintosh computer costs nearly 3 times as much as a standard home computer does, and for that much extra money, you should have a right to expect better quality!!

I’m not upset at anybody. I appreciated all the responses and that a solution was provided. And I never contacted Apple support. I knew someone at MR would know what the problem was.

zlloyd1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
I’m not upset at anybody. I appreciated all the responses and that a solution was provided. And I never contacted Apple support. I knew someone at MR would know what the problem was.
I did not say that YOU were upset, nor contacted Apple Support. I was noting the troubles that would originally cause one to post in a forum, instead of get direct support from the company in question. I think you may have misread my posting here, and come to some conclusions that were not the intent.
When I said 'you' in my posting, it was to represent myself, or anyone who did contact support, and how they would have been already disappointed by the time they ended up posting in the forums for assistance. It was a narrative of sorts, I was not pointing at YOU personally, just explaining a situation where the 'you' was actually me.
My posting (maybe rant) was regarding the shoddy treatment of posters / posted questions, in the forums by the 'Moderators', not to direct assuage you, or anything you have posted here.
Also, I am not certain what 'MR' means truthfully, who would supposedly know what the problem was.
In any case, I appreciate you taking the time to provide further replies to my post, and apologize if my previous narrative was confusing!!

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
@zlloyd1 since you've submitted a contact message, I'll now close this thread.

It's fine to post general questions and thoughts or suggestions about the rules or moderation here, but any specific query has to go via the Contact Us.

The administrators, who oversee moderation, will respond to your ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.