Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Not sure if this belongs here, but here goes...

I was watching old Star Trek original series with the AirPod v3's in, trying not to provoke the sleeping wife to emerge from her slumber to tell me how much she hates the original series, and the audio started breaking up. It was subtle at first, after about 3 or 4 minutes. An effect like the sound was crumbling like a dry muffin. Then it got worse until, within probab10 seconds, the sound completely dropped out. Oddly, the video didn't stop, so the ATV didn't get the message that the APv3's had dropped the connection to it, but I had no audio. Popping one out, and popping it back in 'reset' the audio, and it continued again, until it happened again.

It literally sounds like it's dropping small samples of the audio, and it crescendos until nothingness. They stay connected, as I said, and everything is just happy happy, as if nothing was happening with the APv3's.

the interesting wrinkle is that this never happened until after I updated the Apple TV, and my iPhone. I don't know what the firmware of the APv3's is, and will check that out, and test the audio again, but it was definitely reproducible, and very annoying. I was hoping the audio didn't dump back to the amplifier and speakers, which didn't happen.

Is this something others have experienced? I will try to see if I can get a recording of it when it happens again. Housekeeping note, they were fully charged, and I was within about 8 feet of the ATV.

Disturbing, and depressing... I have had the Beats Fit Pro buds kind of die out a little (not completely) a couple of times, but they work solid with my iPhone, so I am wondering if this is a flaky ATV, or what. I'd assume that if it was the ATV, it would have reacted to the loss of the APv3's, and dropped that connection, or paused the video like it does if an APv3 is removed from an ear hole.

Weird... Not expected, and sad...

Thanks for reading...

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
It did it again last night. If I pause the video, and hit play, it stops, and audio is perfect again.

I did notice something rather odd. If I had either, or both, my iPhone and iPad Pro open, the APv3's failed. If I put them both down in sleep mode, the APv3's were fine. Weird as heck...

Bluetooth harmonics? Wow...

Is it just me?

Are my APv3's flaky?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
It did it again last night. If I pause the video, and hit play, it stops, and audio is perfect again.

I did notice something rather odd. If I had either, or both, my iPhone and iPad Pro open, the APv3's failed. If I put them both down in sleep mode, the APv3's were fine. Weird as heck...

Bluetooth harmonics? Wow...

Is it just me?

Are my APv3's flaky?

Sound as if a process is stuck, so I would reboot the Apple TV!

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Sound as if a process is stuck, so I would reboot the Apple TV!

Tried that and it didn't seem to help. Really curious why they seem to be working better, but I didn't have the iPad on my lap that last time. It's just weird. My Studio Beats did it once, quickly, yesterday.

perezr10

macrumors 68010
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I’m having the same issue with my AirPod 3s. Audio is fine for 5 minutes or so and then it starts to deteriorate. I miss words at first and eventually it goes away completely. If I restart my ATV it seems to get better for a while but the problem comes back eventually. I’ve been using AirPods with my ATV for over a year and I never had this problem until maybe a week or 2 ago. I only have this problem with my ATV so I’m guessing it’s a software bug in TVOS.

• Wow
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
When my Beats Studios flaked out for a second the other day, I started getting panicked a little. What is going on! But it was a quick stumble in an hour and a half use. I hope this isn't more fatal and widespread. WTH...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.