Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

missclareski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
Florida
Hey everyone! I am a proud owner of an Olympus E-3 dSLR and am looking to invest in a Wide Angle or Super Wide Angle lens in the near future... in order to help decide what range I will want to get, I would love to see what these bad boys can do!! Please post some of your favorite wide angle and super wide angle photography and include the 35mm lens equiv. (as 14mm on a Canon dSLR lens would differ from 14mm on an Olympus dSLR lens, and so forth).

I look forward to seeing what stuff you have to show off!! I am open to any and all styles, subjects, compositions... the more variety, the better! :)

Thanks!!

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Snowboarding

This is my pal Cody B. Amazingly talented individual, and if you are into snowboarding you will see him in the BaldEgal movies.

codysickstall.jpg

Taken with canon 10-22 ultrawide. Such an amazing lens. I could only imagine if it would fit on the full-frame canons, TEN MM, HOLY COW

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
^^^ I like that picture even though its super blown out! I like this thread idea as well. Hope to keep it alive and well once I get my 7D and get proper ultra wide glass.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Thanks

^^^ I like that picture even though its super blown out! I like this thread idea as well. Hope to keep it alive and well once I get my 7D and get proper ultra wide glass.

Thanks, It was a few years ago, I think I may have blown the background out in PS actually....? Crazy kids:rolleyes:

tonyrage: The shot of the baseball field is awesome, I feel like I am there. I love the ultra-wides.

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
Brooklyn Bridge

3925383224_e9afe9dd8c_b.jpg

14mm on a full frame body.

I agree that this is an interesting thread idea. Love the stadium shot.

I've personally found ultra-wide angle challenging to shoot. Even minor changes in the position of the camera can have a dramatic impact on the image produced.

Pepper It

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2009
Amazing work Kallisti. You know what? Despite the popularity of colored photos nowadays, nothing beats classic b&w photos carefully composed.

paulg

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2004
UK
Sail around West Scotland

taken with a Canon 5D, Sigma 12-24mm F4.5 - 5.6 DG

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    948.9 KB · Views: 124

obibobi

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2007
Sweden
Just back home in Sweden from a one week trip to New York where I got the Tamron 10-24mm f / 3.5-4.5 DI II for my Nikon D40x.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/583992-REG/Tamron_B001NII_700_B001_SPAF_10_24mm_f.html
also bought a filter for protecting the lens:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/11974-REG/B_W_65_070156_77mm_Ultraviolet_UV_Glass.html

After waking up from the jet-lag I quickly looked through iPhoto and thought this was OK.

Battery%20Park.jpg

Original .jpg only edit in iPhoto:
Edit, Enhance, straighten 1 degree and saved to 640 width.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
I was on the wall about getting the Canon L 14mm F2.8 II, However after looking at these BEAUTIFUL pictures, Im going to get one.

Cheers.....
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
Brooklyn Bridge take 2 and 3

Since this involves purchasing decisions (i.e. trying to decide is it worth the money to get a wider angle lens) I thought it might be helpful to include some comparison shots. Both of these shots are from a Nikon D700 and 14mm-24mm lens (thus full frame) as was my prior post in this thread. I have applied the same adjustments in Aperture to both of them.

3927412630_ba77d7173d_b.jpg

Shot at 14mm. Similar to the earlier post I made in this thread, but without the figures in the foreground.

3926630597_642ca9d0e8_b.jpg

Shot seconds later at 22mm.

I'm not sure which one is actually "better." I like the first one (posted earlier in the thread) because I think the subjects in the foreground add scale to the image. Ideally, I would have liked to keep the biker in the final image and not had the person on the left. I think the interesting aspect of the image is the lines formed by the cables and not the bridge itself. The 14mm shots emphasize the lines to the exclusion of the bridge itself. However the 22mm shot may represent a happy medium--the cables are still present but you walk away feeling the bridge is still important.

I'm not sure I've really grown into ultra-wide yet. While the 14-24 is a great lens, I don't feel that I really understand how to use it properly. Ultra-wide is a very challenging focal length. It seems to magnify the importance of perspective in bizarre ways. Minute changes in camera angle result in radically different images. Personally, I'm finding the ultra-wide focal length to be quite challenging to use effectively.

I'm currently using my 24-70 for most of my walk-around shots. It covers the range I seem to gravitate to the most. I have a 70-300 on order to cover the telephoto range. While I love my 70-200, it's just too big and too heavy for travel use.

zuma022

macrumors regular
May 18, 2008
Here's a few of my favourites, all with the Canon 10-22mm and the XSi (1.6 crop). I love wide-angle. I still have a lot to learn, but I love the possibilities.

10mm
bc-35.jpg

10mm
bc-95.jpg

14mm
wa-1.jpg

10mm
wa-2.jpg

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Nice shots, Zuma! I absolutely love Antelope Canyon. I hear winter is a great time to visit, although the "light beam is no longer after the first week or September, or so. I've never made it to Monument Valley.....

Are the other shots from up here in the PNW?

Here is my favorite, but not necessarily the best. I guess that is all subjective and personal preference anyways:)

Shot with an EOS 30D + 10-22mm, 4 stop ND filter, 30 second exposure

Attachments

• Tressle Creek Falls.jpg
    Tressle Creek Falls.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 117

zuma022

macrumors regular
May 18, 2008
Nice shots, Zuma! I absolutely love Antelope Canyon. I hear winter is a great time to visit, although the "light beam is no longer after the first week or September, or so. I've never made it to Monument Valley.....

We were in the area in Apr/May and it was gorgeous. Nice and warm, but not too hot. Monument Valley is stunning, I regret not having spent more time there.

Are the other shots from up here in the PNW?

Yup. The first one is outside of Banff and the second on Vancouver Island.
Thanks!

I love your waterfall shot. One of these days I'll get myself a ND filter.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Some amazing shots here...!

This isn't anything special, but I had to get out the first day with my Tokina 12-24mm and give it a run through. Fogerty Creek state park on the Oregon coast - 12mm on a D50.

DSC_7753.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.