Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richmond62

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2020
Aqua Dark Waves.jpg

Left and Right hand monitors.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I haven’t touched or been in a room of D&D play since about 1984. Unlike @eyoungren’s brush with a crappy DM, my experience with the crappy DM down the block turned me away from role-playing games for probably the rest of my life.

It's been about the same amount of time for me as well. I went from arcade games and D&D to heavy metal guitar soon after, and gave up all of that "nerdy" stuff for s*x, d**gs, and rock 'n roll for a few years, until I burned out on all of it by my mid-20s. I then went on a nostalgia kick that hasn't subsided yet. No D&D, though, as my career has kept me too busy to visit comic book/gaming shops to re-enter that realm. I still have all of my monster manuals, DM guide, modules (including one that I put together) and an original woodgrain box D&D set.

EDIT: Looks like I have an old red box set, that's pretty beat up, as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
It's been about the same amount of time for me as well. I went from arcade games and D&D to heavy metal guitar soon after, and gave up all of that "nerdy" stuff for s*x, d**gs, and rock 'n roll for a few years, until I burned out on all of it by my mid-20s. I then went on a nostalgia kick that hasn't subsided yet. No D&D, though, as my career has kept me too busy to visit comic book/gaming shops to re-enter that realm. I still have all of my monster manuals, DM guide, modules (including one that I put together) and an original woodgrain box D&D set.

EDIT: Looks like I have an old red box set, that's pretty beat up, as well.
I created my own game in 1983 before I knew anything about RPGs. For my birthday in 1984 a friend got me the D&D redbox set, that set you have.

I too have all my AD&D books, but they are all 2nd Edition from circa 1992. I moved on to Rolemaster in 1994 and that is the RPG I play given a choice. AD&D has changed and advanced since the 90s, but I still don't see it on the level of Rolemaster.

I have all my Mechwarrior/Battletech books from 1986 and up, Shadowrun from 1990 and up as well. All my MW/BT books are the originals, not the stuff that came later where they rebooted the entire thing. LOTS of books! Last, but not least, there is an extensive Battletech novel collection that started in 1987 running up in to the late 90s that I have just about every book on as well.

As to comic books shops - <sigh>. Those were the days. Once I got a girlfriend and married her, expendable cash for stuff like that went bye-bye. Still have all the comics I collected in the 1990s though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.