Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blut haus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2015
Hey everyone. I'm a long-time Mac user and started a family a couple of years ago. I've posted in another thread about my sons first computer, a dual 1.8GHz G5 (in my sig). I've been looking around at various children's games (mostly thanks to the folks over at Macintosh Garden, you rock!). Anyway, some of the games are from my own childhood and most run well on Basilisk on the G5 under System 7.5.5 (I find it works better than classic mode on 10.4, just my experience, YMMV). Also neat that 10.5's version of time machine works with my 10.11 Server 5 Mac Pro for backups...but that's a topic for another thread.

These are my favorites that I'll put on the machine for my son (and eventually my daughter who we are expecting any day now!). Yes I know some (most) of these are beyond my sons age range ATM, but they are timeless! :). I plan on using the machine for my nostalgic fix from time to time of course.

Educational:
Oregon Trail
Yukon Trail
The Treehouse
Math Blaster
Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing
Turbo Math Facts
Sim City (I'd argue the Sim games are more educational. There is a lot you can learn from them!)
Sim Farm

Games:
JMP Turbo
Marathon (1, Durandal, Infinity)
The 7th Guest (I remember being spooked like crazy by this game!)

Other:
Some version of Office: Mac (not sure what version would work best on 10.5)

What others can you think of? I'm curious as to what other parents have on their classic machines for toddlers. My list isn't very good for that age range :)

Last edited:

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Sesame Street: Baby and Me... That is what got me to climb the stairs in my parent's apartment, go to the computer, turn it on, put the game in, and start playing when I was a year old... Since then computers have been integrated into my life, LOL. I also recommend RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 (it's the only Mac compatible version of the game). By far one of my favorite childhood games that I still play to this day every so often. Besides those two, I happen to have all of my childhood games. They aren't all PPC compatible, but most of them are. I'll take a look and let you know!

blut haus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2015
Sesame Street: Baby and Me... That is what got me to climb the stairs in my parent's apartment, go to the computer, turn it on, put the game in, and start playing when I was a year old... Since then computers have been integrated into my life, LOL. I also recommend RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 (it's the only Mac compatible version of the game). By far one of my favorite childhood games that I still play to this day every so often. Besides those two, I happen to have all of my childhood games. They aren't all PPC compatible, but most of them are. I'll take a look and let you know!

Awesome, thank you! I never played the Rollercoaster Tycoon games, but most of my friends did. Oh my gosh, how could I forget Sim City?! Sheesh what's wrong with me, better go update my original list.

I'll see if Macintosh Garden has the Sesame Street game :)

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Awesome, thank you! I never played the Rollercoaster Tycoon games, but most of my friends did. Oh my gosh, how could I forget Sim City?! Sheesh what's wrong with me, better go update my original list.

I'll see if Macintosh Garden has the Sesame Street game :)

They do... I lost the disk years ago and found it recently on MG. Ran remotely smooth on my 6100/66, so if it ran fine on there, it will definitely run amazingly on a G5 (first and last Apple PPC Macs). I, believe it or not, have not played a real Sim City game, ever. I had Sim City: Creator for Wii, but I don't think that's a real Sim City game... I really need to get my hands on Sim City 2000 or 3000 soon.

blut haus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2015
They do... I lost the disk years ago and found it recently on MG. Ran remotely smooth on my 6100/66, so if it ran fine on there, it will definitely run amazingly on a G5 (first and last Apple PPC Macs). I, believe it or not, have not played a real Sim City game, ever. I had Sim City: Creator for Wii, but I don't think that's a real Sim City game... I really need to get my hands on Sim City 2000 or 3000 soon.

I bought Sim City 4 last week in the App store. It's great fun. Back in the day I played the original Sim City, complete with blocky graphics. Sure was fun. I played Sim City 2000 on a beige desktop G3 and it ran pretty well IIRC. The graphics were amazing from from that old 68k machine we used to play on. Pretty sure it was a ci.

Reactions: Gamer9430

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I bought Sim City 4 last week in the App store. It's great fun. Back in the day I played the original Sim City, complete with blocky graphics. Sure was fun. I played Sim City 2000 on a beige desktop G3 and it ran pretty well IIRC. The graphics were amazing from from that old 68k machine we used to play on. Pretty sure it was a ci.
I should load my Beige up. I just got a 9200 Pro in it :).

blut haus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2015
I should load my Beige up. I just got a 9200 Pro in it :).
Neat! do you have a desktop or tower machine? Just curious. I know mine was a desktop, I believe it was the 233MHz model. It was FAST at everything except Internet related tasks. Then it was molasses. I seem to recall a post somewhere about why that was...

Reactions: AphoticD

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Neat! do you have a desktop or tower machine? Just curious. I know mine was a desktop, I believe it was the 233MHz model. It was FAST at everything except Internet related tasks. Then it was molasses. I seem to recall a post somewhere about why that was...
I have the desktop 266 Mhz version. If you look in the setup thread, I posted a pic of the pair I got. I'm having fun printing over serial though OS X.

blut haus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2015
I have the desktop 266 Mhz version. If you look in the setup thread, I posted a pic of the pair I got. I'm having fun printing over serial though OS X.
Oh, yeah I actually ran into your post earlier this morning :) Good stuff!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Both my son (12, 7th grade) and my daughter (7, 2nd grade) started off with AlphaBaby

Lemmings 2, and a Richard Scary game on OS9 kept them occupied on my 6500 too (the Goodwill is a good place to pick up old OS9 games for cheap (I got Halo there too)).

Back when we had a PC there was a bunch of games we got from the Goodwill that my son used too. Now he's doing NES emulators on his Mac.

For internet games both my kids used pbskids.org and nickjr.com.

There's also TuxPaint and TuxCart too.

blut haus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2015
Both my son (12, 7th grade) and my daughter (7, 2nd grade) started off with AlphaBaby

Lemmings 2, and a Richard Scary game on OS9 kept them occupied on my 6500 too (the Goodwill is a good place to pick up old OS9 games for cheap (I got Halo there too)).

Back when we had a PC there was a bunch of games we got from the Goodwill that my son used too. Now he's doing NES emulators on his Mac.

For internet games both my kids used pbskids.org and nickjr.com.

There's also TuxPaint and TuxCart too.
There's a rather large goodwill here in Portland, i should check it out and see what they have. I like having physical copies of games...am I getting old? :D

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There's a rather large goodwill here in Portland, i should check it out and see what they have. I like having physical copies of games...am I getting old? :D
No. It's a good place to score stuff for a good price.

Back before the recession drove people to the Goodwill that ordinarily would never have shopped there it was a great place to find electronic items. Not so much anymore, because management has wised up and a lot of the stuff that in the past would simply have been put out on the shelf for pennies on the dollar are instead redirected to the Goodwill's online auction site.

But you can still find killer deals on software, music (tapes and CDs) and books.

abundantmussel

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2014
Cork, Ireland
23 years I've been playing Simcity 2000 think its time to take a break lol.

The lucasarts adventure games are worth a go too, spent most of my childhood playing Monkey Island 1 & 2, Loom, the Dig, Flight of the amazon queen, Zak McKraken etc they get the mind going too which is good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.