Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
The day is coming and will be getting shots of my first July 4th on my new XSi. Of course, being new to this type of shots, I need help. Post your tips for getting great fireworks!

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
If you have bulb mode on your camera, a remote release and a tripod you are in business. Manual focus at infinity, stop your lens down a bunch (look at the first couple pics, you want to keep the sky relatively dark), turn your iso to something with relatively little noise and aim the camera at the sky.

Try to close the shutter after one or two shells or things quickly get out of control. If you don't have bulb mode, I usually do exposures from 1 to 10 seconds depending on how fast the shells are coming up. For interesting effects, try zooming or intentionally moving the camera while a shell is exploding and the shutter is open.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
yes, what jampat said is great. Use MLU (mirror lock up) if you have it. A shutter remote, such as the RC-30N or the like for Canon, is great. If you dont have that, but have bulb mode, which almost all DSLRs have (and SLRs), if just as great. A tripod is a MUST.

here is a shot i did with an EOS-3 a few years back..

i am going to use my G9 and try and see what i can do. I think she has a maximum of a 15 second shutter, as the tiny sensor would get way to hot.

and dont judge me on it not being perfectly square....I was wasted when taking these, lol:) I mean it WAS the 4th of July, after all!!

Attachments

• fireworks.jpg
    fireworks.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 88

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
fireworks.jpg

Taken on Film, but it's the same process on digital.

Setup on a tripod, set camera to bulb mode, aperture around f8-f11, focused manually to approximate distance, kept shutter open and just uncovered the lens when I wanted to capture the firework.

(think the camera was a cheapy Russian Lubitel TLR - not my Mamiya).

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
companies also sell a fireworks trigger as well, although i have never used anything of the sort.

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
F/11 aperture, bulb mode. Open the shutter as the rocket bursts, and when the trails start to die, close it.

Probably self explanatory, but you want to zoom in all the way to fill the frame as much as possible.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Results!

Let see what people came away with!

I botched a lot of mine but this one looked interesting:

Attachments

• 378U6405.jpg
    378U6405.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 106
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.