Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Post screenshots of OpenBSD in use! Web browsing, general usage, system specs, light photo/video editing and whatever you normally use this OS for.
Is it better than Linux?

Reactions: z970

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
Post screenshots of OpenBSD in use! Web browsing, general usage, system specs, light photo/video editing and whatever you normally use this OS for.
Is it better than Linux?
It has better hardware compatibility with PowerPC machines than Linux does overall. The only thing holding it back is a good web browser. Otter browser is okay, but it’s far too sluggish, and lacks the ability to install addons. I tried to build Arctic Fox for OpenBSD yesterday, but it fails during the configuration stage.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
It has better hardware compatibility with PowerPC machines than Linux does overall. The only thing holding it back is a good web browser. Otter browser is okay, but it’s far too sluggish, and lacks the ability to install addons. I tried to build Arctic Fox for OpenBSD yesterday, but it fails during the configuration stage.
I thought Netsurf was modern, light, and standards-compliant?

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
Depends on what standards you expect it to comply with lol. Don't expect to use any websites that require JS for interaction. Even Macrumors would be unusable, especially after the "upgrade" they did to the site recently.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Depends on what standards you expect it to comply with lol. Don't expect to use any websites that require JS for interaction. Even Macrumors would be unusable, especially after the "upgrade" they did to the site recently.
That update just slowed down the site even more. It even broke the mobile version of the site for a couple days. Does Reddit, gmail, discord, and youtube work?

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
That update just slowed down the site even more. It even broke the mobile version of the site for a couple days. Does Reddit, gmail, discord, and youtube work?
Reddit in the old format should work, Gmail HTML format should work, Discord and Youtube are no-go's.

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
So no messaging sites work? or any video/audio streaming? Is this all thanks to lack of JS support?
That, among other things as well (HTML5, WebRTC, etc..). I believe it technically "supports" JS, but has a very rudimentary implementation.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
That, among other things as well (HTML5, WebRTC, etc..). I believe it technically "supports" JS, but has a very rudimentary implementation.
A question about Arctic Fox, it appears to look like the old old Firefox design, (versions 28 and lower)
Is this web browser at the standards of 2014?
cleardot.gif

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017

That's another reason I'm waiting to install OBSD. The coming 6.6 release in October will come with Netsurf 3.9 (instead of 3.7), which was upped with more standards compliance, more speed, and better x support all around.

@sparty411, wait for that version before making final judgements.

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
That's another reason I'm waiting to install OBSD. The coming 6.6 release in October will come with Netsurf 3.9 (instead of 3.7), which was upped with more standards compliance, more speed, and better x support all around.

@sparty411, wait for that version before making final judgements.
I built 3.9 from source on Debian a few weeks ago, and haven’t seen much difference between it, and 3.8. I appreciate what they’re doing with the project, and it’s great for general browsing / reading, but not much beyond that at the moment. The build instructions are on their website, and it doesn’t take more than 15 or 20 minutes to build on a decently clocked G4. Give it a try. I’m not trying to take anything away from Netsurf, but the web is such a bloated horrible mess, you need a bloated browser to interface with it properly. Arctic Fox is the closest thing we’re probably ever going to get to perfect. It’s fully featured, yet not bloated. I even use it on my x86 machines now :)

Last edited:
Reactions: lepidotós and z970

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
I ran OpenBSD from 5.0 to 5.8 and then the number of packages for PPC started to drop every release.
No Mplayer , no HTML5 capable WebBrowser.

If you can live with CLI only, it's really good, their MAN pages are beyond any other *NIX derivatives.
Also their install is soo easy and fast.

Reactions: sparty411

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I would have a lot of screenshots. It's been my only OS for about 8 years on all of my devices except the odd Linux/Windows/Mac testbed. I have it on about a dozen customer servers, routers, and VPNs, in addition to my own laptops. Here's a couple screenshots from some non Intel stuff, since that's what's interesting.

12" 1.5 GHz G4:

pbg4screenshot1-png.856046

My router, an Ubiquiti Edgerouter 4 with a nice quad core 1GHz Octeon:

edge4-screenshot-png.857750

My previous router/IDS, a Sun T1000:

router-screenshot-png.856420

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
NetBSD or bust! (I'll have to dig out my SE/30 w/ 128 MB RAM PDS Ethernet, and a 9 GB hard drive with NetBSD loaded on it that acted as my home server for many years.)

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
The newest PowerPC Mac (that this subforum is dedicated to,) is now 14 years old. At the time of the Intel transition, the SE/30 had been discontinued for only 14 years.

At the time of the Intel transition, the latest-sold SE/30 was as old as the first-sold quad Power Mac G5 is now.

In a subforum dedicated to very old Macs, it seems silly calling one that is older than you expected "useless." (Also note, the Mac in your avatar picture is now over 21 years old, and OS support for the SE/30 had only been stopped less than a year prior to your avatar model's release. By comparison, the last PowerPC's OS support ended ten years ago. Likewise, the SE/30 can hold more RAM than the Power Mac G3 shipped with by default.)

As a BSD server, the SE/30 worked well. Admittedly, the last time it had duties as my home server was about 15 years ago.

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
That looks pretty good! I've been getting pretty interested in tiling window managers recently. I'm still curious about NsCDE and KDE2 Restoration, but I'm definitely going to have to give i3 a shot soon.

On the topic of the thread, the only screenshots I can give are more... screen pictures. I don't have it installed anymore for reasons that are about to become apparent, but I might give it another shot one day.
full

Main problem seems to be my CF to IDE setup -- which I chose as opposed to an mSATA to IDE adapter so I can quickly swap CF cards and not have to deal with trying to get OpenBSD to run with multi-boot. I know I'll definitely be using OpenBSD in another context -- my Gigabit Ethernet webserver -- when I get the chance, but for now I'm sticking with what I know in Linux and branching out to give MorphOS a shot.​

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.