Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleung

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Hong Kong
I just posted some really good pictures on my .mac page using iWeb and noticed that the quality of those pictures was drastically reduced. One in specific went from a portrait of someone full of life and color to a really dull look. What could have caused this and should I stay away from using iWeb or my .mac then?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I believe iWeb/.mac (not sure which end it occurs at) reduces the image quality of pictures to make the file sizes smaller.

cleung

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Hong Kong
I believe iWeb/.mac (not sure which end it occurs at) reduces the image quality of pictures to make the file sizes smaller.

I figured that's what's going on but the pictures were just shockingly bad! Does something like KodakGallery do the same? I was trying to be lazy and not use RapidWeaver to design a webpage but I might not have a choice now...

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I've never noticed a noticeable difference in quality, do my photos look bad on my (iWeb-created) website ? (See sig).

I figured that's what's going on but the pictures were just shockingly bad! Does something like KodakGallery do the same? I was trying to be lazy and not use RapidWeaver to design a webpage but I might not have a choice now...

Assuming your using dotMac, you can go the long way by creating a folder on your iDisk and filling it with full-size photos, then using "Homepage" from within the dotMac site to create a page, it just wont look as classy as iWeb.

cleung

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Hong Kong
I've never noticed a noticeable difference in quality, do my photos look bad on my (iWeb-created) website ? (See sig).

Your pictures don't look bad at all and I think mine don't either if you don't hvae the originals with which to compare.

Assuming your using dotMac, you can go the long way by creating a folder on your iDisk and filling it with full-size photos, then using "Homepage" from within the dotMac site to create a page, it just wont look as classy as iWeb.

I'm not sure I have enough room on dot.mac to do that. Each of my file is relatively large.

On a separate note, I too live in HK, in fact, in Pokfulam relatively close to West Island School! I have some very similar pictures of the Buddha!

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
On a separate note, I too live in HK, in fact, in Pokfulam relatively close to West Island School! I have some very similar pictures of the Buddha!

It really is a small world... as you might have seen, I live just up the road from Kennedy School. And I went to West Island School as a teenager... working at HKU right now... though... this is work :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.