Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

razdog94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
UK
Hi Guys

I wonder if anyone could help with some issues I'm having with my mid-2012 MBP.

I first noticed that when I booted the machine up, the chime occurred twice (strange?). Then, during the same session I popped the charger in and realised that it wasn't charging at all (no amber or green light). After a while it did start charging, but the next day it stopped working again. Finally, if the laptop is turned on and I pull the charger cable out, the laptop immediately switches off. I have had a quick look online and somebody suggested to reset the PRAM, which I have done, to no avail.

I know that the machine is getting a little bit old now but it was the max spec back then, and still works incredibly well for everything I need!

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Andy.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
A couple things to consider:
- Is the power actually being delivered? Can you try another power supply? Is there dirt in the port where the power supply plugs in?
- It may be that your battery is no longer functional. If you boot it up, you can check About This Mac-System Report - Power and see if the battery has enough capacity. See Charge Information and Health Information.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Sounds like a flat battery. The Coconut Battery app as suggested in the previous reply should tell you whether or not you need a new battery.

razdog94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
UK
Thanks very much for all of your replies. I'll run the diags tonight and paste here.

razdog94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
UK
Dear all, please find attached battery diags as tested by coconut battery.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 20.17.32.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 20.17.32.png
    44 KB · Views: 240
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 20.17.47.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 20.17.47.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 264

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I have older MacBooks running with batteries at -lower than- 84% of "full capacity", and they still run ok.

If you buy a new battery, DON'T buy "the cheapest one you see".
There are many "knock-offs", and many of those are worth less than you pay for.

I'd suggest OWC as a possibly good choice.
DISCLAIMER: I've never bought a battery from them, never needed one yet.

If Apple will still replace this battery, I'd have it done at an Apple Store.
That way you get an Apple-original.
Worth a little extra money.
Ask them to check the charging board, as well.

razdog94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
UK
Okay great - will make the purchase and keep you all updated .

Again, thanks .

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I'd have it done at an Apple Store.
I second this. You've had 1200 cycles on this one, more than 2-3x from most OEM laptop batteries. Battery installation can be different for each model. Best to do some homework on ifixit.

razdog94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
UK
Hi everyone

A quick update - I'm pleased to announce that having now installed and calibrated a new battery and doing a PRAM reset, the machine seems to be working as normal. I keep my fingers crossed that it carries on behaving. Many thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Reactions: kohlson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.