Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarsG5

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2016
Hello,
I've got a floppy drive taken out of Beige G3 and I'd like to connect it somehow to my Power Mac G3 B&W (best option would be installing it into the zip drive bay).
I did some research, but I found no informations that could help me connecting this floppy drive to B&W G3.
So my question is: is it even possible? The floppy interface is different than standard 40 pin IDE, so is there any way I could you some adapter? Has anyone successfully done that?

Help, plz ;_;

Reactions: pochopsp

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
AFAIK, there's no way to connect a Macintosh floppy drive to a B&W. I've seen reports on it with tray-load iMacs I think, but never with the B&W.

Macintosh floppy drives are one of the great and mighty Woz's innovations and are quite different from PC drives in their operation. The drive is variable speed, which allowed them to 400 or 800K on LD disks(vs. 360K or 720K on PC floppies). As you've noted, the connector is unique to Macintosh floppy drives-it supplies power and data, and does so with a lot few pins than a PC drive.

If you must have a floppy drive, get an external USB or LS-120 drive. They were popular at the time, and you can find them in colors matching the B&W. The downside is that they will only read 1.44mb floppies, although both PC and Mac are fine(the LS-120 can of course also read LS-120 disks).

It's just a shame that no one has figured out how to graft an IWM(Integrated Woz Machine) chip onto one :)

Reactions: LightBulbFun
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.