Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
This is a strange problem and I have no idea as to what is causing it. So, I'm trying to install iWork '09 on my G5 through a DVD. But whenever I put the DVD in the drive, it ejects it a few seconds later. So I tried an iLife '09 DVD and the drive read it just fine. So I assumed that the iWork DVD was bad, so I cleaned it in one of those DVD cleaning machines. The G5 still wouldn't read it. Then I tested the iWork DVD in my iBook G4 and the iBook would read it just fine. So the iBook will read the iWork DVD, and the Power Mac won't. Any ideas? Thanks.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
The cleaning disc didn't help. I tried 2 of them - one for CD players and one for DVD players (because I have a SuperDrive) - and the G5 still ejects the iWork disc. Any other ideas?
[doublepost=1478438029][/doublepost]
Try an external drive?
I'll end up doing that soon, but if there's a problem with my G5's optical drive I'd like it fixed.

Reactions: robotica

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
If you're only having trouble with one particular disk and drive combination, image the disk in another computer and transfer the image to your G5 with a flash drive.

HFTaylor, I've done the above with Garageband to my PowermacG4 & G5 - Works like a champ. Both PMs have a clone of the GB08/files/plugins from my 08 unibody Intel macbook drag n dropped to the others in the right directories. I'd imagine the process to be similar for most apps. That in my mind was way easier to get everything across all platforms in one swoop and it was seamless. IME it's faster to drag n' drop than spin up an optical drive & launch the installer. It also protects our physical media which is just getting harder to find for these older systems that we paid good money for. If I do need to use an DVD installer(like OS9.2 or office08 - couldn't get that to work w/o installer), I burn the ISO to a blank or as bunnspecial recommended to drop it to the desktop via flashdrive and install from that. Your OEM media will live snug as a bug in a rug in a nice CD/DVD protector case.

I know this is a pretty basic computer101 skillset but I still felt like a rock star when I figured out how to do it lol. Good luck :D

Last edited:
Reactions: AmazingHenry
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.