Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
I'm having terrible bother with my watch going into power reserve mode on my apple watch using watchOS 3 when i use clothing that covers the screen. Everything is perfect when i wear short sleeved tops but every time i go out for a walk wearing my heavy rain coat or a long sleeved jumper and want my workout to be recorded it will go into power reserve mode several times in an hour. YES i know this is Beta software on the device but I'm wanting to know if this is happening others or if i'm on my own with this issue? lately i'm having to walk with my coat left arm slight pulled up to stop this happening.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
So you are saying your :apple:Watch proactively switches into Power Reserve mode? I thought this could only be done manually and have never had my :apple:Watch so this. I will just run it until dead since Power Reserve mode is worthless to me. I don't have wOS 3 so is this a new feature? If so can it be disabled?

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
I don't know what's causing it if it's brushing against the material is like a touch or swipe. I honestly don't know but only happens when covered.

Power Reserve was always available but now is accessed differently. A simple swipe up on the watch and tap on the battery percent will show you the power reserve button

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Perplexing, have you posted on the Developer forum? An Apple engineer or developer could probably provide a plausible explanation of this behavior.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I have done and haven't got a reply as yet unfortunately
Unfortunately with the updates coming so often, (I'm a AppleSeed tester and we get a 'new' forum on every update and assume developer forum is the same) most features added and bugs squashed the forums are less active.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
There was some aberrant behavior under WatchOS2 related to long sleeves, also. You might search these forums for posts on that. Might have some relevance to what you're experiencing.

Reactions: Futhark

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Do you have the battery % icon as a complication? Your coat could be hitting that complication and then hitting button for power reserve.

Reactions: Futhark

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
Do you have the battery % icon as a complication? Your coat could be hitting that complication and then hitting button for power reserve.

I have actually. I'll try removing that and see if it helps.

Never even thought of that. Thank you

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
Been there, done that. :D Maybe Apple can make that button (within complication) a press-n-HOLD affair to turn on PR.

There was me thinking my jacket must have been swiping up to get to the power option. Totally forgot about the complications

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
It's funny today I looked at my watch and it was trying to start a workout so the lining of the jacket must be doing something with the complications

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
It's funny today I looked at my watch and it was trying to start a workout so the lining of the jacket must be doing something with the complications

Only way for sure is maybe use watchface withOUT complication at all and see if it still happens....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.