Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaiserbuch1701

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Germany
Hi everybody. I´m new to this forum and at first. Sorry for my terrible English. :-/
I was very interested in the PowerPCs Mac and owned a few. Now i got Powerbook G4 17" with 1.5Ghz from a good friend of mine. Its in pretty good shape and after knowing, that it is possible to upgrade it with an mSata SSD, i done it.

After installing an DeLock IDE-->mSata with an Transcend SSD 128GB i got a litte noisy Problem.
The System is really responsive and silent, but i can hear some crazy Sounds... sounds like an HDD.
So, when the disk is read and write to. Very interesting. I recorded it with my iPhone...

So, does anybody have the problem or heard of it? It isn´t really loud, but makes my confusing. :-(

Oh, i checked the Fans. They seems to work normal. After all, i also replaced the Thermal Past. But doesn´t solved the Problem.

Maybee it would be an good idea, to try out the older HDD?

ThX for the help guys.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
I've had a similar situation with a 12" PB. But only slightly similar: Once I ditched the HDD and put in an mSata (with adapter), I started hearing the fan all the time. Also I started hearing that the fan bearings were worn and probably had some resonating oscillations. I recorded a video - microphone next to the fan and video showing fan speed data, measured the sound's shifting frequencies and the sound's frequency was prettymuch 1/64 of the fan speed.

Nowadays I only use that computer in noisy environments.

RGDS,

Kaiserbuch1701

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Germany
Thx for the Advice. I Hope i can figure it out. I will also try an normal Harddisc. I use this PowerBook at home. So this sounds drives me a Little Bit Crazy.

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
Any chance that it is an electrical component on the PATA to mSATA adapter that is making a "whine" noise when the drive is "under load"?

Kaiserbuch1701

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Germany
Any chance that it is an electrical component on the PATA to mSATA adapter that is making a "whine" noise when the drive is "under load"?

I do not hope so :-( . The Speed of the SSD in this Powerbook is amazing. I have a free Weekend and i will change back for the original Harddrive to figure it out. Fingers cross. But this is the only Part i changed :-(. If it is the Adapter, i can just try another or is there another way to reduce it?

At this moment i have to say, this noisy sound starts after the Apple Logo an the spinning wheel is cumming up and Leopard was loaded. Maybee your right when the Drive is on load... :-( Damm...

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
If it is your adapter, I would simply return it (if possible) and try a different brand/model. Or even another one of the same kind. Any noticeable noise is not "normal" for this type of component.

Kaiserbuch1701

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Germany
So, i figured out something interesting. If i unplug the poweradapter, this noise goes away. So, the problem is not the adapter or the msata SSD. I think, this could be the AC Adapter Board inside of the Powerbook, right? Sadly i have no other Power Adapter, that i could try...

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
You've got a very good adapter, but the mSATA produces more heat than a spinning drive.
So temperature exceeds the factory-set threshold which causes the fans to run constantly.
With "G4FanControl" you may raise the threshold of the disk's temp-sensor e.g. to 60°C and the fan-noise will stop unless temperature exceeds.

If you use the software "Hardware-Monitor" you may check all temperature-sensors of your PB for excessive heat.
Take into account, that Spotlight produces a lot of CPU- and drive-activity and therefore heat, when it runs for the first time to index the drive.

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
I've had a similar situation with a 12" PB. But only slightly similar: Once I ditched the HDD and put in an mSata (with adapter), I started hearing the fan all the time. Also I started hearing that the fan bearings were worn and probably had some resonating oscillations. I recorded a video - microphone next to the fan and video showing fan speed data, measured the sound's shifting frequencies and the sound's frequency was prettymuch 1/64 of the fan speed.

Nowadays I only use that computer in noisy environments.

RGDS,

"G4FanControl" will especially help with the 12" PowerBookG4 since CPU/GPU/mSATA are close together in a row causing the mSATA to heat up to a temperature steady-state of 60-65°C on heavy load. I've set the drive's sensor to a 65° threshold before the fans are activated. Runs fine, but a cool or ventilated surface is helpful (I use an aluminium iLap stand from rain design, when at home)
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/12-powerbook-g4-temperatures.1560950/#post-22614690

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.