Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flatjuba

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
My powerbook G4 12 inch just died all of sudden, the screen went garbled then black. When I tried to turn it back on, it made an attempting sound of powering up, but nothing. No chime, let alone the apple logo. The battery is still 90% full. I took out the battery, no avail. I pressed command, control and power button altogether, no avail. Safe mode, no avail.
Does anyone ever experienced something like this?

• Wow
Reactions: maître

maître

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2022
Russia
Sounds like a dead motherboard. Try using an external display if it still makes a chime. If something comes up, might be a good idea to reset NVRAM. If the screen goes all glitchy again then it's the GPU, so a motherboard replacement anyway.

ervus

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2020
Did you try removing the RAM module?

⌘ + ⌥ + p + r at first power on should reset the nvram and ⌘ + s at boot can sometimes boot you into single user mode, even with a failing GPU. If it won't do that then it might be dead. Does the LCD backlight come on? USB port power? If not it could be a power problem.

Reactions: B S Magnet

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
It's also worth seeing if FireWire Target Disk Mode works. I've got an iBook G3 that doesn't display an image on the LCD or via an external monitor but I can access its HDD over FireWire from another Mac. If you're able to do the same then you can narrow down the issue to GPU failure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.