Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Latteralus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2016
Hey all.

I'm new to MacRumours.

I recently brought a 17" PowerBook G4 1.5Ghz/2GB/100GB/128MB VRAM

Its running OSX 10.5.8 but when I installed something there was an issue and I had to force off holding the power button.

Now when I turn it on, it takes around 5 minutes from Logo to load but it will not start finder. No applications associated with finder work anymore either. Cant even use safari or itunes.

I have tried using task view and it looks like finder is constantly trying to load and crashing. It won't stay in the list long enough to even quit the program.

However the version of finder has changed to ???(??)

I managed to get terminal up and tried a couple of recommended commands (deleting finder plists and whatnot) but nothing has helped so far.

I cant open disk utility so I tried running repair permissions from terminal but it just go's from 0-100% in seconds and says failed.

It won't load my usb stick but tells me when it has been removed and alot of my preferences now say "error no preference panes available" when I click on them for instance "Accounts" won't load nor will much else in preferences.

I'm pretty sure I need to re-install OSX but I cant get a copy of tiger or leopard to use.

I cant make one either because the powerbook is my only Mac (brought it for nostalgia)

Is there anything anyone can think of that could help me out ?

Thank you for reading my long old post. I look forward to the reply's.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
A couple of things to try.

Download and install the 10.5.8 Combo updater. Now that's going to require another PowerPC Mac and target disk mode. But if you can't make that happen, another option to try is using a PC to view the update package and then extracting Finder and replacing it on the PB.

You may need to get MacDrive on to a PC for that. If that works you should be able to boot and reinstall the update combo.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
It is not uncommon that a forced shutdown can corrupt a disk.
I would suggest running a disk repair while in single user mode such as shown in this link.
It just might help and for sure it will do no harm.

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa
if you dont clean install, hold down option key at start and choose disk utility option if its there and repair disk and repair permissions. Then restart. If the option is not there do it from a boot disk(like already mentioned).

Latteralus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2016
Hey all!

So I've been having great fun with the PowerBook. I tried every command in everyway to get it working again but nothing helped.

Then I tried a Ubuntu Mate install just to have the machine working but due to the Radeon 9600 pro no longer being supported by the kernel and me not being able to apply the most common fix I stole my friends MacBook Pro and burnt me a Tiger 10.4 Disc.

The install went perfect and I the got all the updates for java and 10.4.11 combo update through apples updater (I didn't think the combo updates were still available through the updater)

but then I reached the next hurdle. Almost no applications for a PowerPC running OSX Tiger work in the modern world without BIG work arounds..

I then figured why not get a copy of Leopard 10.5.6 because it's still got great app support and does all I need .. But I couldn't burn it as I don't have a DVD-DL writer.

I read through many tutorials on how to remove printer drivers and language packs etc. To trim down the package for a single layer DVD but it looks like the layout of folders on 10.5.6 are different than all tutorials I have seen.

so does anyone know how to cut out the bits I don't need from a 10.5.6 image? Or where I can get a base 10.5 leopard (10.5.0 I assume?) to create a single layer leopard dvd?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…I stole my friends MacBook Pro and burnt me a Tiger 10.4 Disc.

But I couldn't burn it as I don't have a DVD-DL writer.

I read through many tutorials on how to remove printer drivers and language packs etc. To trim down the package for a single layer DVD but it looks like the layout of folders on 10.5.6 are different than all tutorials I have seen.

so does anyone know how to cut out the bits I don't need from a 10.5.6 image? Or where I can get a base 10.5 leopard (10.5.0 I assume?) to create a single layer leopard dvd?
My 2006 MBP which can only run Snow Leopard has a DLSD (Dual Layer Super Drive) standard.

Don't all MBPs have DLSDs? I just assumed that was something Apple decided to make stock.

Buy a pack of DL disks and "borrow" your friend's MBP again.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
It's just hopeless. Send the computer to me immediately and--

(FAKE MOD NOTE: *drags cow to the corner again and puts him on the naughty stool*)

You know, I wish they'd stop putting me on the Naughty Stool. Do a clean install on the PowerBook and it should be fine. Either that or try to find the system restore discs and run with those.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Do a clean install on the PowerBook and it should be fine. Either that or try to find the system restore discs and run with those.
:D

OP has moved beyond that. OP wants to get Leopard on his HD now, but seems to only have single layer DVDs (or a single layer burner). Leopard needs a DL disk. ;)

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
:D

OP has moved beyond that. OP wants to get Leopard on his HD now, but seems to only have single layer DVDs (or a single layer burner). Leopard needs a DL disk. ;)

That's why my G4 tower has a partition with the Leopard installer on it (with a small hack to make it run on any G4 with an AGP graphics card). It's never an issue for me now. So if you have another Mac that can run 10.5, copy the entire contents of the disc to a partition and run it while the G4 is in Target Disc Mode.

Reactions: eyoungren

Latteralus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2016
The mac book pro I used only had a single layer burner (at least that's what it said in the system profiler) or i would have gone straight to burn leopard.

As for a USB install I tried using a tutorial online about booting from USB using open-firmware but the USB ports don't turn on until inside OSX. So I could see the USB ports using using Dev / ls but no attached devices. (unless there is a trick on the PowerBooks?)

I won't have access to another Mac for a long time, so target disk mode is a no go.. Also I do not own a firewire drive.

Is there a way to shrink the leopard ISO ? Or can I partition the internal HDD and install leopard while inside OSX?

Fun right !

I appreciate all the help.

Latteralus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2016
Soooo... Update on my quest for Leopard.

Got the leopard.dmg file (7GB) my first attempt at slimming down the file failed miserably. I could boot from the disc but the install always failed saying missing files.

My second attempt. I tried removing different files and pdf's rather than system packages and then just as I booted from the DVD and partitioned the HD Tiger/Leopard ... I spilt my entire cup of coffee all over the damn thing.

Safe to say I watched the screen go multi colored then black. With no sign if life.

So 2 hours of dismantling and removing the most ridiculous screws ever ... I decided to shower it with some detergent to break down the sugars and milk.

2 days later after drying over radiators I put it back together... Then ... 3 Beeps nothing else, I was thinking dead RAM sockets. Turns out I was wrong and it was the memory chip I was using.

So I got it to boot and it went straight to safe mode. The keyboard was completely unusable after its drink.

So I took the keyboard back out and scrubbed it with a sponge and more detergent really pressing it through the wholes to reach the circuit. Then another 2 days of air drying above a radiator and then i put it back in...

It worked! Except when I press space b g t 5 I get space' bn gh ty 56 ... So that's annoying.

But back to the leopard disc. I wasn't through yet!

I booted the disc that I was trying to run before the drink disaster and it booted! Then told me it was missing files.. (almost ready to throw it out a window)

I gave it 1 last try at creating a single layer Leopard DVD .. I did more research of the files and bits possible to remove, then I booted from my 3rd attempt and guess what? I'm now running OSX 10.5.8 !

So it was a ridiculously long and dangerous (for the mac anyway) journey.

EDIT :Thanks for all the help on the forum and XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX' (Removed for legal things) :D

Last edited:

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
Um, you could have also boot off of a USB Stick through OpenFirmware I'm pretty sure. That's what I did when I installed Leopard on my iBook G4/PowerBook G4 and other PPCs

It's just hopeless. Send the computer to me immediately and--

(FAKE MOD NOTE: *drags cow to the corner again and puts him on the naughty stool*)

I swear I see this every time I go on the forums haha

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Um, you could have also boot off of a USB Stick through OpenFirmware I'm pretty sure. That's what I did when I installed Leopard on my iBook G4/PowerBook G4 and other PPCs

I swear I see this every time I go on the forums haha

Well, SOMEONE needs to tell the (fake) mods to stop putting me on the naughty stool. And stop putting duct tape on my mouth. And...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.