Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gezellig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2022
Hi everyone.

Here is quite the newb question - sorry if this has already been answered.

I'm currently looking for the best powered docking station and/or hub for my MacBook Air M1 and my MacBook Pro M1 Pro.

But here is the twist : I don't want it to power my MacBooks. At all. I just want it to provide extra ports and a steady connection between the MacBooks and the peripherals. I would like it to provide power for the peripherals. But I don't want it to charge my computers.

And believe you me, I tried to find the one. tried both the OWC TB4 11 ports option and the CalDigit TS4. Both great options. Sturdy, reliable, with enough ports for my usage. But they keep feeding power to my computers - ultimately degrading battery lifespan in the long run.

So I thought it would be best to ask here directly, since you guys are imho one of the best community out there.

Again. Sorry if this has already been solved. I'm gonna keep searching on my own, but if anyone has some insight or feedback, it would mean the world to me.

Thanks a lot! Can't wait to participate in whatever thread I can help with!

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Battery health is managed by macOS which will hold charging if you feed it power (without unplugging) for over a week. Or control it using a Al dente.

A non-PD dock would be silly. People pay big bucks to have that single cable convenience.

Reactions: Gezellig

Gezellig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2022
That was my understanding too. Gotta say I really liked both the OWC and the CalDigit. Still considering returning the OWC since it doesn't fit my particular bill.

And I wanted to make sure since maOS battery management is kind of a weird thread. Loads of contradictory informations out there.

In the end, it's all about preserving the MBP 16 M1Pro in the long run. I'm using it for both studio and on-location gigs and wanted to make sure I had the best practice to make it last the longest.
Gotta admit my usage is a little erratic - since there is no charging pattern for me right now. The MBP is sometimes sitting on a desk for weeks, then could easily be used for 3/4 days on location, and 1/2 days closed in transit.

And since macOS seems to dislike erratic patterns, I really considered a data-only powered hub/dock. Although I couldn't seem to find one. Which, in the end, tells me that it's just not a practical thing at all.

Anyways. thanks for the quick reply.
Really appreciate it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.