Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Hello,

I just found this blog. http://thehouseofmoth.com/1999-power-mac-g4-agp-graphics/
Edit: suddenly only a few hours later the page isn't online anymore... so here is the version in google's cache, unfortunately without proper formatting http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&client=firefox-b&hl=de&gl=de&strip=0&vwsrc=0 and there is no copy in the waybackmachine :(

A PowerPC-lover explains his love for the G4-AGP and takes it apart. Interesting thing is he shares his thoughts on why certain decisions where probably made by Apple in the case concept. Apart from that he also talks about the Upgrades he's done.
Not much new to know for us veteran's, but I found it was a nice article and wanted to share it.

(I found this article, because I was searching for a picture of the case fan intake without the acrylic case cover, that I wanted to show to someone and there it is. :))

PS: Interestingly he is running a Sonnet CPU at 1,6GHz without(!) fan. One can see though, that the fan is just missing. It surprises me, that it works or maybe the jittery Image representation he conects to the ATI 128Pro is in fact because of the CPU heating up to much. (I only knew about an early revision of a 1,2GHz Sonnet that was passively cooled, but in a second edition was shipped with a fan attached)

Last edited:

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Thank you. Great article! The page loaded fine for me. Maybe their server was rebooting :)

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
I visited the page 22nd Feb. 2018, 6:57 pm and everything was there.
On 23rd, 1 pm the site that showed up was that strange purple one.

This is what I am seeing now:
Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-23 um 01.54.30.png

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
strange, another day and I still get the purple page. I wonder why you can all see the real page with the article.

Last edited:

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
I find the site interesting. Found a post about the DVI ADC adapter.

benwild_33

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2016
I had no trouble reading it in the UK, was an interesting read, some of the other posts are too.

benwild_33

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2016
weird now it is not working for me but the other day it was fine.
Have you tried playing about with your DNS? I’m on virgin media and all my requests are running though a pihole and I think that uses the google DNS, although saying that my phone loads it too and it doesn’t run though the pihole so it’s uses the default virgin media dns

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
I don't know anything about the DNS but now it works for me. So its really weird that it has a domain page sometimes and have the actual site other times. There could be something with the site not working right with the DNS which if I knew more I could play with but I don't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.