Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Power2PC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2021
Hello, This topic stemmed from an idea I had to potentially improve and or experiment with the cooling inside my Late 05 2.3Ghz G5. The concept was simple, I wanted to develop and design a 3D printable AIO mounting bracket for a Corsair H60 Original model AIO cooler, and as a result the following AIO models are supported: H60 (OG Model), H80i, H100i. To add to this post, I have been in discussion with user: PowerfulEra to potentially implement this system in a G5 Quad to help replace the aging Delphi and Panasonic intercoolers for something more modern and reliable. The link to my thingaverse with the STL File for the bracket can be found here: (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5171233), PLEASE NOTE that this project is sill in its early stages and will be subject to design revisions and such, The instruction and pictures of my thingverse page are still under adjustment, I am yet to upload more comprehensive instructions. (I have since fixed the standoff peg misalignment issue as shown in pictures), one or more 3D printable brackets will be made available for mounting the AIO within the chassis.

Goals for this project is that it must be: Affordable, relatively simple, 3D printable, Ideally use existing AIO hardware, require ideally little to no modifications to the G5 Chassis and internal components.

I set about designing the concept in Fusion360 and had gone through around 10 iterations of the bracket design till now.

F360 AIO bracket design.PNG

Here's a picture of me 3D printing the final design iteration.

3D printing the bracket (2).jpg

I have attached some images of my initial testing with the AIO bracket. These testes were conducted using Thermal Grizzly liquid metal on the CPU, Cinebench R11.5 was used to fully stress the CPU, The idle temps with the CPUs were taken with Power set to "highest" in energy saver, so better idle temps would be expected when using "Automatic" (about 34C on both CPU Cores). The tests were carried out in a 23.5 Celsius environment with both the Corsair AIO fan and Pump at Maximum speed. The shots of the AIO bracket with CPU card were taken just after initial fist testing when I used thermal paste on the cooler.

AIO Liquid Metal Bracket full load temps.jpg
Liquid metal AIO bracket temps.jpg

Attached is the Concept implementation for use in a G5 Quad system, this is mainly thanks to user: PowerfulEra for the suggestion and discussion of use in a Quad system, even though that wasn't my initial intention. The concept image for my 2.3Ghz system is also attached.

PowerMac G5 Quad Cooling plan.png
PowerMac G5 insides for 2.3Ghz.png

Below I have attached the images of the bracket being used in the PowerMac G5 as my initial test. (Sorry for the jankiness ?)

Top shot of G5 2.jpg
Top shot of G5.jpeg

After initial testing of the Bracket I took it out to take some photos of the: Top, Side, Bottom and underside of the bracket, and swap the thermal paste for thermal Grizzly liquid metal. (Conductanaut)

AIO bracket standalone image.jpg
Profile shot of AIO bracket.jpg
Bottom of Cpu Card with AIO bracket.jpg
Underside shot of AIO bracket.jpg

I will keep this thread up to date with any new developments such as in bracket design or cooling shrouds.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.