Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

necreation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Hi guys,

I owns several Powermac G5. There's one particular Powermac G5 2.0 DP 2003 model that has been working fine for a few months. It was running really well until one day when I thought everything was fine, one of a new intern that has assigned to this system reported to me that the Mac keeps falling asleep within a few seconds it booted up in to OSX Leopard.

I can be able to bring the system wake from sleep but it only last a few seconds until it sleeps again.

I have tried a few methods like reset PRAM and SMC but nothing seems to be able to fix the problem.

Tried plugging in a fresh installed SSD with Leopard but still the issue still occurs. I can be able to enter open firmware and it seems to be not sleeping in this mode.

Anyone has has any clue of what wrong could this be?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi guys,

I owns several Powermac G5. There's one particular Powermac G5 2.0 DP 2003 model that has been working fine for a few months. It was running really well until one day when I thought everything was fine, one of a new intern that has assigned to this system reported to me that the Mac keeps falling asleep within a few seconds it booted up in to OSX Leopard.

I can be able to bring the system wake from sleep but it only last a few seconds until it sleeps again.

I have tried a few methods like reset PRAM and SMC but nothing seems to be able to fix the problem.

Tried plugging in a fresh installed SSD with Leopard but still the issue still occurs. I can be able to enter open firmware and it seems to be not sleeping in this mode.

Anyone has has any clue of what wrong could this be?

Have you tried running an Apple Service Disk?

http://www.dreamsupport.us/downloads/apple-mac/Apple_Service_Diagnostic_Disks_25_GB/

necreation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I've found out what's wrong.

The CPU A was reading 35c and the CPU B was reading 161c and it triggers the sleep / force shutdown.

Can this be fixed by reapplying thermal paste? My Powermac is air cooled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.