Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Russanandres

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2024
Hello. Recently i bought PowerMac G5 (Dual 1.8GHz, June 2004) and it's really loud. As i read on forums, it's good to do "Thermal Calibration" from ASD discs, so i found v2.5.8 and v2.5.7 and burned them on CD-RW. Both versions just haven't "Thermal Calibration" option, even after Standalone tests, and in Standalone Tests menu exists only: "CPU, GPU, Display, Modem" options. In system (10.4.11) via iStat - all temperatures between 30-40°C, so fans can be less to spin, but they are not. I thinks they are not at 100% power, but on start (3-4 sec after power ON) PC is really silent, after it activate fans on 100% and then only ~70% at previous noise, what still uncomfortable loud.

How to do that calibration or any other method to reduce noise?

Russanandres

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2024
Oh, seems like this paragraph helped me out. Specifically, boot cd:,\diags in OF (not ASD OF, just PowerMac OF) booted the GUI with Thermal Calibration. I still using v2.5.7, and thermal calibration is being calibrating right now.
Okay, test passed and G5 is ultra-silent now. So, this thread can be closed.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Thanks for sharing the solution with us. I haven't encountered this problem with my G5 but it's great to have the information on hand if it ever occurs. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.