Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac G5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2016
Australia
Looking to buy a PowerMac G5, only thing is that it doesn't have any Ram, what kind of ram does it need, will standard 800MHz DDR2 work or will I need 533MHz?

Xandros

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
Well, it depends on which G5 it is. I'm assuming since you're talking about DDR2 you know it's either the 2GHz DC, 2.3Ghz DC or the 2.5GHz Quad (all released in October 2005 and were the last models of G5 ever released I believe). But if it's a model released before them then it takes DDR, not DDR2.

Anyway, these Macs should support RAM speeds higher than 533MHz provided the modules are the right specification, but they will not run at anything higher than 533Mhz because that's all the memory bus supports so as long as you're not bothered about it being underclocked to run at 533MHz then it's OK.

As for the RAM spec, up to 16GB of 1.8v DDR2 533MHz unbuffered DIMMs either ECC or non-ECC can be used. DIMMs can either be 256 MB (non-ECC only), 512 MB, 1 GB, or 2 GB modules that have CAS read latencies of 4 and 5. DIMMs must be installed in the bank slots in pairs of the same size and type; ECC and non-ECC cannot be paired in a single bank

That's from the official specs I believe, so as long as the 800MHz RAM folloows those guidelines it should work no problem but as I say, it will only run at 533MHz.

Last edited:

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
That would make it a quad, which Xandros correctly identified. Apple never referred to the Quad as DP.

So what's your point, and what happened to your permaban?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.