Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
image.jpeg

With my main gear still down in Dublin while I'm up the country for the summer, I've taken the time to set my G5 Quad up in a comfy and appealing manned. With a warm room, big solid desk and the luxury of using genuine PPC tech I have no exuses to stay away from the DAW over the next few months.

Even managed to hook up the little hardware instruments I own so my TB-3 and TR-505 are working in tandem with my mixing desk, Yamaha piano and of course all being controlled by the G5 itself. Logic Pro 9 is reliable as hell under leopard with not a single hiccup had yet.

And when I get back to my proper gear I can easily convert the demos to Logic Pro X projects and finalise them there along with my good microphone.

So if you feel like checking out my doodlings or just want to hear some authentic PowerPC audible creations, there's a sample here:

https://soundcloud.com/snoviet/knowers-ark

Last edited:

oi!

Suspended
Jan 10, 2016
:-(

"
Error (429)
This account's links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!"

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
*Envy* :)
I used to have a TR-505 too. I agree, PPC still shines for audio - all my demos and videos linked in my signature are authored on PPC (with the exception of stuff I wrote on Nintendo DS)

Doh - your link is down :(

Picture 1.png

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
*Envy* :)
I used to have a TR-505 too. I agree, PPC still shines for audio - all my demos and videos linked in my signature are authored on PPC (with the exception of stuff I wrote on Nintendo DS)

View attachment 634158
Have you heard of the Arduboy? I've been working on a chip synth there, but its really basic.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
View attachment 634144

With my main gear still down in Dublin while I'm up the country for the summer, I've taken the time to set my G5 Quad up in a comfy and appealing manned. With a warm room, big solid desk and the luxury of using genuine PPC tech I have no exuses to stay away from the DAW over the next few months.

Even managed to hook up the little hardware instruments I own so my TB-3 and TR-505 are working in tandem with my mixing desk, Yamaha piano and of course all being controlled by the G5 itself. Logic Pro 9 is reliable as hell under leopard with not a single hiccup had yet.

And when I get back to my proper gear I can easily convert the demos to Logic Pro X projects and finalise them there along with my good microphone.

So if you feel like checking out my doodlings or just want to hear some authentic PowerPC audible creations, there's a sample here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrgqsf2t36hw22g/Knower's Ark.mp3?dl=0

Interesting setup. Is that an M-Audio MobilePre I spot on the desk? How has it performed?

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Interesting setup. Is that an M-Audio MobilePre I spot on the desk? How has it performed?

It is indeed, my first interface. The headphone port hasn't worked for quite a while on it now mind.

My main interface is the C400 but that had driver issues for months on end with El Cap. Took until Janurary 2016 for Avid to release a patch! Had to make a Mavericks partition in the meantime.

There is a C400 driver for Leopard and it works fine on the G5 surprisingly despite the age gap.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
*Envy*

As long as it isn't HP, I'll appreciate that envy! ;)

Yeah the Tr-505 is good fun. I want a proper TR-808 or even the new TR-8, but money.

Switched the DropBox link to a Soundcloud one. I guess DB doesn't like when you share with more than like 2 people or something. Lightweights.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I remember when Roland boxes were considered obsolete junk and people couldn't give them away! Of course, we now identify them as hardware that defined an era but I wonder, in 30 years time what will be the hardware that defines this era?

Reactions: tevion5

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I remember when Roland boxes were considered obsolete junk and people couldn't give them away! Of course, we now identify them as hardware that defined an era but I wonder, in 30 years time what will be the hardware that defines this era?

Yeah it's crazy to think the 303 and 808 defined 90's dance music era yet had been around since 82'. Before the original Macintosh! Guess it takes a while for people to figure out how to use something properly.

oi!

Suspended
Jan 10, 2016
Cheese grater Mac G5 and Mac Pro.
Seriously, find a nice Quad Core with it's original box. Fill it with as many nice rare period extras (ideally with their original boxes too) as you can lay your hands on, and put the whole caboodle someplace safe. Some day, you will thank me for this!

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Cheese grater Mac G5 and Mac Pro.
Seriously, find a nice Quad Core with it's original box. Fill it with as many nice rare period extras (ideally with their original boxes too) as you can lay your hands on, and put the whole caboodle someplace safe. Some day, you will thank me for this!
I think you've missed my point - I'm talking about instruments/music hardware.
[doublepost=1465236757][/doublepost]
Yeah it's crazy to think the 303 and 808 defined 90's dance music era yet had been around since 82'. Before the original Macintosh! Guess it takes a while for people to figure out how to use something properly.
There's also a case that hardware has to fall into the hands of the poor, socially marginalised and disenfranchised, who can't afford anything better, before it realises it's potential :)

Reactions: tevion5

oi!

Suspended
Jan 10, 2016
I think you've missed my point - I'm talking about instruments/music hardware.
OK, sorry. Thing to watch for is anything that is good quality, was a big name and was aspirational when new. Buy when it gets to the point where no one wants them, and they're just being thrown away.

There's also a case that hardware has to fall into the hands of the poor, socially marginalised and disenfranchised, who can't afford anything better, before it realises it's potential
This is a very valid point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.