Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
I want to start getting into photography but I'm unsure what i should get for a camera. I'm thinking about getting a canon powershot G9 because of its RAW capability. do you guys think that this would be a good route to go? or should i look into a cheaper DSLR? I'm not super serious about photography just yet so i really don't want to spend a ton of money into equipment. thanks.

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
The G9 is good if you already have a DSLR and want something more compact as well (although it's not particularly small), but I'd suggest starting with something like a Nikon D40 (or equivalent Canon, Sony, Pentax...) with kit lens - which is the same kind of money. That would be ideal for learning about photography and the quality and versatility is much greater.

If you start getting more serious about photography you can buy another lens or two and if you feel you're outgrowing your first DLSR you can still keep the lenses, but upgrade the body.

zirkle2007

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Indiana, USA
+1 for a Nikon/Canon DSLR. The ability to add and change lenses is great and you'll get more use out of them. And if you want something small you can just carry a small point and shoot at other times like I do. I think you'll be much happier just jumping into one of these models.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I third the motion. For about $450 (on Amazon and elsewhere), you can get a Canon EOS XT with the kit lens, which will be a lot more fun than any fixed-lens camera.

I found that out the hard way. I bought a "bridge" camera last Spring and outgrew it before a year was up. If I had just bought a DSLR back then, I would have saved money in the long run, and I'd have a year's worth of much higher quality photos.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
I would get a Nikon D40 They can be had for very cheap these days and make a good starter.

and As others have mentioned the G9 is more for people who already own a DSLR.

Good Luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.