Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
I love the features of the Pro line of products but I don't like the way they fit into my ear. I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I constantly have to shove them into my ear cause they are sliding out of my ears. I never had this issue with my old Airpods 1st gen, they stayed in like they were glued into my ears.

So I've been debating going back to the regular line that isn't pro but it seems the 3rd generation has changed shape and look more like the pro line without the ear tips. Has anyone who's had similar issues tried the 3rd generation? Do they stay in as good as the previous generation or are they just that, Pros without the tips?

I don't want to go back to the 2nd generation just to have them lose support in the next year or so.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I believe I saw on this forum that people said they had better luck with these foam tips (vs. the stock silicone ones). Might be worth a try to see if they stay in your ear better:

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
None of the AirPods have fit me yet I have them all ha. AirPods 3 are a lot bulkier in the ear due to the new design so if your ears are shallow they’ll fall out due to the size. The AirPods 1-2 are thinner so they’ll fit better in that type of ear but then you have to have an ear that holds them in place toward the earlobe.

My ears are shallow and I don’t have that little area where they would sit properly so when I do wear AirPods I can’t do much of anything.

Soondae

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
I love the features of the Pro line of products but I don't like the way they fit into my ear. I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I constantly have to shove them into my ear cause they are sliding out of my ears. I never had this issue with my old Airpods 1st gen, they stayed in like they were glued into my ears.

So I've been debating going back to the regular line that isn't pro but it seems the 3rd generation has changed shape and look more like the pro line without the ear tips. Has anyone who's had similar issues tried the 3rd generation? Do they stay in as good as the previous generation or are they just that, Pros without the tips?

I don't want to go back to the 2nd generation just to have them lose support in the next year or so.
Just sold my APP yesterday, hated them. They were uncomfortable and the right pod kept falling out no matter which silicone tip I used. Sound was a great improvement over my AP2gen, however the AP2 were much more comfortable and lighter than the APP. I found my answer to the issue was to go with the Beats Fit Pro, same great sound and the in ear design with wingtip is comfortable and secure. There is a great thread on the subject in this forum, read it and it'll convince you to go with the BFP.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
AirPods 1 and 2 did fit my ears without any issue, but AirPods 3 do fit even better.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
I returned mine.
they fit great in my ears and were almost as comfortable as my regular Airpods (I could forget I’m wearing them) but sound quality was really bad.zero bass and everything else sounded thin,metallic and same as $5 budget wired earphones (I’m not exaggerating).
they sound even worse than regular Airpods and noise cancellation was a joke.maybe 30% noise “reduction” at best ?

great design and technologically impressive but they really sound mediocre and have REALLY weak ANC.

perezr10

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I can’t use the Pros for more than an hour. But that’s good enough to mow the lawn or vacuum my house.

I use my AirPod 3s EVERY other time because I hate feeling like I’ve stuffed cotton in my ears.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
I'm the opposite. I'm probably paraphrasing but didn't Apple say they tried the Airpods on a thousand ears? Well none of them were mine. The minute I saw the Airpod Pros were proper in-ears and not some stupid thing that wedges behind my antitragus and drops out when I even just blink too vigorously let alone move my head, I bought them. No regrets.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
I returned mine.
they fit great in my ears and were almost as comfortable as my regular Airpods (I could forget I’m wearing them) but sound quality was really bad.zero bass and everything else sounded thin,metallic and same as $5 budget wired earphones (I’m not exaggerating).
they sound even worse than regular Airpods and noise cancellation was a joke.maybe 30% noise “reduction” at best ?

great design and technologically impressive but they really sound mediocre and have REALLY weak ANC.
All hallmarks of them not fitting your ears properly. You should have tried the other tips.

Reactions: Sheepish-Lord

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
All hallmarks of them not fitting your ears properly. You should have tried the other tips.
No I tried all tips.
it's a common "complain' ,they have very flat bass and overal very average sound quality.I bought Bose QuietComfort earbuds and tested them side by side for hours.they sound completely superior ,and ANC performance is vastly superior.comfort is equally good.so a easy decision.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
No I tried all tips.
it's a common "complain' ,they have very flat bass and overal very average sound quality.I bought Bose QuietComfort earbuds and tested them side by side for hours.they sound completely superior ,and ANC performance is vastly superior.comfort is equally good.so a easy decision.
The fact you said the ANC is weak is a sure sign they weren't fitting your ears properly. And the flat bass. The only headphones I have ever used with ANC better than these were Sony wh1000xm4. I was astounded by how good it is. But...this is the problem with in-ears: the experience of how they sound and work is going to vary from person to person. For some people Product A is going to be magical, for the next person it'll sound awful. I'm glad you eventually found what you wanted, though.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
The fact you said the ANC is weak is a sure sign they weren't fitting your ears properly. And the flat bass. The only headphones I have ever used with ANC better than these were Sony wh1000xm4. I was astounded by how good it is. But...this is the problem with in-ears: the experience of how they sound and work is going to vary from person to person. For some people Product A is going to be magical, for the next person it'll sound awful. I'm glad you eventually found what you wanted, though.
but even all reputable reviews are also saying Airpods Pro ANC and sound quality isn’t the best in class.and class means other similarly priced wireless earbuds.

what other leading earbuds have you tried??

I tried :
1-Bose QuiteComfort earbuds
these have hand down the best ANC of all 4 sets .many levels ahead of Airpods Pro and also MUCH better sound quality.I’m currently using these.pretty much every review also confirms what I say about them.

2-Sony XM4 these also have better sound and better ANC than Airpods Pro (but their ANC is not as good as Bose) but they go into ear canal so I can’t stand them.

3-Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 3
These have the best sound quality of all 4 sets. ANC is similar to Airpods Pro (not that good) but for me personally very uncomfortable

I tried all these for hours all ear tips.Airpods Pro are cool,small,practical etc but their sound quality and ANC is just so so.
I’m sure they will improve them with next version.

I have many Apple devices so naturally would have liked the Airpods Pro to be my choice but they just aren’t as good as others in terms of sound and ANC.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA

Try AirPods 3. Fit is similar to Gen2 but the sound is awesome. No ANC, but staging is nice.
I have all models including Max and mainly use these.

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
Try AirPods 3. Fit is similar to Gen2 but the sound is awesome. No ANC, but staging is nice.
I have all models including Max and mainly use these.
It just seems weird that they would fit well given they're almost the same design as the Airpods Pro without the ear tips.

And I'd hate to splurge on them just for them not to fit well, I can't imagine anyone taking them back given they've been in my ear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.