Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
I've been less than thrilled with flickr - and am interested in what site(s) others prefer for hosting digital images. Photobucket, Webshots, etc... What is your fave ... and why?

Question for the Flickr experts here - how can I get adjust image size for images stored on flickr? No matter how large the image I upload, flickr re-sizes to something much smaler than I desire. An advice?

darthmullet

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2006
to access full size file on flickr (and it is stored there regardless) you must purchase a pro account.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Thanks Darth - have a pro account (comes with my yahoo account) - but took me a while to figure out the different 'sizes' I could link to for embedding on forums like this. Got it all figured out now!

cutsman

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
I personally use Zenfolio (see my sig below) and like it a lot so far. Nice and clean interface... easy to use. I tried a number of other sites before going with zenfolio. I'd have to say Smugmug is a close second for me, but the reason I went with Zenfolio is due to the generally nicer layout of the pages.

If you enjoy the social networking aspect of flickr, then I'd say give flickr another shot... I don't think any of the other sites even remotely comes close in replicating the social connectivity of flickr.

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
I sure like SmugMug. Not sure why, I havn't spent much time with the others, I do have Photobucket, and never use it anymore.

I just have the cheap account, but check out this site, and look at some of the sites that the users there have a link to, they are very nice and all done through SM, plus SM sent me a nice camera strap for free, much nicer than the one the Nikons or Canons come with.!:D

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
I use Zenfolio, Basically for the same reason as cutsman , It's a nicer, more professional layout & is simple to use :)

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Thanks folks - will try those sites out. The social networking aspect of flickr is of little value to me; sounds like these others may be closer to what I need.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
SmugMug!

For several reasons: great customer service, customizability, and unlim storage/bandwith.

Their customer service usually respond in MINUTES. Actually every (every. single. one.) time I've asked random questions, needed help customizing my site with Java/CSS, or messed something up, they've replied within minutes; often the answers are from Andy, the "pro" customer service manager. They (and I) call them heros for a reason. Usually "problems" (ex. "oops, I didn't crop photo xyz in my order! help!") are resolved within the hour, even at 11pm CST.

In addition, a few months ago it was late (10pm CST) Thursday and I needed photos for a grieving family by Saturday morning. Smugmug not only pushed my order to the top of the pile at their printing facility, but upgraded the shipping to overnight/sat. AM free of charge. I got the photos 6pm Friday and was able to hand deliver them Saturday morning.

Who else would have done this, let alone free of charge? They're truly compassionate and devoted people.

I don't know what people are talking about the site not being "pro" or "clean" enough… check out mine www.NickensPhotography.com. I have no background in code, and I was able to do that (I'm pretty pleased, and my "clients" are too). That said, I think this option isn't available on the "base" membership level.

Unlim bandwith/storage, regardless of membership level.

Try it out, no risk! And when (not if) you sign up for good, save me $10 and yourself $5 with the referral code: AD2YtsjXceosE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.