Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abamct021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
Is there a preferred manufacturer for Mac Computers when it comes to point and shoot cameras? I am new to Mac and on a steep learning curve.

I am looking to purchase a new point and shoot camera and am looking at the following manufacturers (no specific order): Canon, Nikon or Sony. I am looking at a budget of $200 - $300.

Can anyone recommend a camera or website to help me make this decision.

Thank you

(I LOVE MY :apple:)

macunwired

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2008
Los Angeles
www.dpreview.com

They have great reviews of all cameras... as far as compatibility with your Mac, you don't have to worry about that at all. Any of the cameras you are looking at will be fine. You will probably want to use iPhoto to manage your photo library. Here is a link to some great Apple tutorials:
http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/#iphoto

At the high end of your budget are some fun underwater cameras... you don't get as much quality from them for the same price as non underwater cameras, but if you see yourself using the camera in wet situations, it might be worth looking at:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209waterproofgroup/

My personal favorite pro camera manufacturer is Canon. For point and shoot it is usually a tie between Canon and Nikon.

Have fun!

MrMojoRising

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
I'm rather partial to the Canon point and shoots myself. I have had a G9 for about a year and just bought an SD880is.

The few Nikon point and shoots I've handled have all seemed to operate very slowly and have more complex menus and harder to operate controls, although that's just my subjective opinion.

My girlfriend has a Sony point and shoot and while it takes nice pictures, it had to be returned for service. Also, Sonys use their memory stick cards which I believe are proprietary. Canon and Nikon point and shoots use SD/SDHC memory cards which are pretty much universal until you get into professional grade DSLRs that use the larger Compact Flash cards.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
If you have one of the new MacBook Pro's (the ones with the small slot on the side instead of a bigger door covered slot) you will want an SD camera. Any camera with a removable card will work fine with Macs.

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
I have a Panasonic LX3 for a point and shoot. It's a fantastic little camera. However, the RAW files it produces are not support by iPhoto or Aperture. They also can't be openned in Preview. So it's not a good buy if you don't have Adobe software. But I'm sure anything you get from Canon, Sony, or Nikon would work just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.