Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashton18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
Atlanta / Los Angeles
How will upgrading work in 12 months when the new iPhone comes out?

Will I be able to upgrade via Apple.com like I did this year and ship the phone back or will I have to go to an ATT store to give them my current phone and then preorder?

Thanks!

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
When I did it via Apple using AT&T Next going from 6 Plus to 6s Plus they sent me new phone, i activated it erased old phone and mailed back the old phone only, not charger, cord or earphones to AT&T. They would not take it at the AT&T store.

ashton18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
Atlanta / Los Angeles
When I did it via Apple using AT&T Next going from 6 Plus to 6s Plus they sent me new phone, i activated it erased old phone and mailed back the old phone only, not charger, cord or earphones to AT&T. They would not take it at the AT&T store.

Did you preorder the 6S Plus or did you buy it after launch day?

numpsy

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
I am also interested in the details for this as I will be upgrading next year through ATT "Next Year" blah blah.

Reactions: ashton18

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
How will upgrading work in 12 months when the new iPhone comes out?

Will I be able to upgrade via Apple.com like I did this year and ship the phone back or will I have to go to an ATT store to give them my current phone and then preorder?

Thanks!

You can order either through apple or AT&T. This year I did through the AT&T app. If you want to get the new phone on launch day you may have to make one more payment on it because at the time you are pre-ordering you've only made 11 payments not 12. When they ship you your new phone they also incldue a shipping label in the box. You wipe your phone, but it in the box your new one came in, put the supplied label over the current label on the box and take to the post office. Pretty simple process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.