Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timenprayer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Has anyone had any issues preordering a new iPhone at 12AM PST using an Apple Gift Card as payment? I've been gifted one of those visa prepaid cards and I'm thinking of turning it into an Apple gift card. Thoughts?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Has anyone had any issues preordering a new iPhone at 12AM PST using an Apple Gift Card as payment? I've been gifted one of those visa prepaid cards and I'm thinking of turning it into an Apple gift card. Thoughts?

I pre-ordered my 4.7 iPhone 7 last September. I had no issues when doing so. The amount owed for the iPhone will be deducted from the gift card on the iPhone when It actually ships.

Timenprayer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I pre-ordered my 4.7 iPhone 7 last September. I had no issues when doing so. The amount owed for the iPhone will be deducted from the gift card on the iPhone when It actually ships.
I am wondering, however, if trying to apply a gift card AND using a credit card - versus just using Apple Pay - would slow down the transaction online.

In the past when I’ve preordered at 3AM EST, every second counts and there are seconds between launch day arrivals and 2-3 week ship dates.

For me - last year’s preorder of the iPhone 7Plus was the fastest ever with Apple Pay.

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth
Just make sure to hold on to your gift card till you get your device Apple does not take the value off till the item ships. So if you order and throw away the gift card somebody else can use that balance before you do if they where to have the card.

kybldmstr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I am wondering, however, if trying to apply a gift card AND using a credit card - versus just using Apple Pay - would slow down the transaction online.

In the past when I’ve preordered at 3AM EST, every second counts and there are seconds between launch day arrivals and 2-3 week ship dates.

For me - last year’s preorder of the iPhone 7Plus was the fastest ever with Apple Pay.
I’m using upgrade program to go from the 7 plus to 8. I have a $26 gift card I might wanna use to pay for the upfront tax. But if it will cause delays in shipping I will just not use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.