Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chubby Cox

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2004
Hi everyone-

I've always had somewhat of an interest in photography, but I've only really gotten serious about it in the past year or so. So, I've decided that I want to put together a portfolio of some of my favorite images. Here's the issue, though...after using iPhoto or Photoshop for editing and cropping, most of my pictures have slightly different aspect ratios. However, I want to print all of them out at the same size (I'm thinking 8x10). I don't want to stretch or shrink any of the image in order to fit completely within an 8x10 page, so I was thinking I'd add borders around the edges- just plain black or white solid borders...no fancy patters or anything. I was wondering if there's an easy program to do this. I like having the option in iPhoto to crop a picture to the exact aspect ratio for a certain size print, so I'd like to have something that could accomplish the same effect but by adding to the edges instead of cutting away- for instance, if I have an image that fits 6x10, I'd want to add an inch of black to both the top and bottom to make it fit an 8x10 print.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Well, you could create a 8"x10" document in Photoshop with whatever color background you want, then drag/paste your photo on top of it, resize if necessary, and print.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hi everyone-

I've always had somewhat of an interest in photography, but I've only really gotten serious about it in the past year or so. So, I've decided that I want to put together a portfolio of some of my favorite images. Here's the issue, though...after using iPhoto or Photoshop for editing and cropping, most of my pictures have slightly different aspect ratios. However, I want to print all of them out at the same size (I'm thinking 8x10). I don't want to stretch or shrink any of the image in order to fit completely within an 8x10 page, so I was thinking I'd add borders around the edges- just plain black or white solid borders...no fancy patters or anything. I was wondering if there's an easy program to do this. I like having the option in iPhoto to crop a picture to the exact aspect ratio for a certain size print, so I'd like to have something that could accomplish the same effect but by adding to the edges instead of cutting away- for instance, if I have an image that fits 6x10, I'd want to add an inch of black to both the top and bottom to make it fit an 8x10 print.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Generally, folks crop for 8x10, as most folks looking at a portfolio want a full-frame image. Adding either white or black borders will change the look of an image, sometimes significantly.

Chubby Cox

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2004
Well, you could create a 8"x10" document in Photoshop with whatever color background you want, then drag/paste your photo on top of it, resize if necessary, and print.

That would make sense, wouldn't it?:D

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.