Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
I'm running tvOS 12 Beta 6, since I just moved in with new roommates this month, I've been trying to make sure my personal stuff remains by personal. But I can't seem to be able to find a way to prevent someone to go incognito in my iCloud Photo Library as well as my Photo Stream via the Apple TV. Sure I can deactivate it, but Apple does not seem to require a password to reactivate it within the settings. I tried going into restrictions thinking maybe I can add an extra layer of security and prevent reactivation of my library without the use of a password but nope.

At this point, if someone came into my house and stole my Apple TV, I'm pretty darn sure they would have access to every single picture I took from my iPhone over the past years. Is this how it was on the non-beta software? Can someone confirm this?

Reactions: Bigmizzoufan

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
If someone steels your TV then I think your only option is to change your AppleID and iCloud passwords.
If the password is different then it can’t connect to retrieve the photos.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
Thanks for the replies but my mains concern is not getting my Apple TV stolen. It’s knowing that anyone who has access to it automatically has access to iCloud Photo Library in a few clicks.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
On the AppleTV 3, I can go in and customize the menus. Setting any channel to “hide” or “show” or “ask”.

If set to ask, then they have to enter my password to get into the channel. That’s assuming you set a password for content in the preferences menu.

This worked for iCloud photos as well.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
On the AppleTV 3, I can go in and customize the menus. Setting any channel to “hide” or “show” or “ask”.

If set to ask, then they have to enter my password to get into the channel. That’s assuming you set a password for content in the preferences menu.

This worked for iCloud photos as well.

Can you provide more info on how to accomplish this, I tried holding “play/pause” but didn’t see these options on tvOS 12 Beta 6

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
Try if the Restrictions setting allows you to block opening of Photos app:
https://appletvmanual.com/appletv-4k/restrict-access-to-content.html

I’ve searched all the menus I can think of,

FYI the “Apps” restriction is only for age limit.

f722a867403f89f77bfb15df55cadad2.jpg
e4b494ec687118a819f53aea80e145b8.jpg
d17bdbea1c6ece377e476c0f6d813de0.jpg
cb63968b57146789945fd7aaf1bdc9e7.jpg
c5022e45e48e8ae1bc6ac930797e1412.jpg

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I would look in the Apps menu. It currently says “All” in your screenshot. See if you can change that to require certain apps to require a passcode. Like an “ask” option.

I haven’t used the newer AppleTV yet. But on the 3 it was simple.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
I would look in the Apps menu. It currently says “All” in your screenshot. See if you can change that to require certain apps to require a passcode. Like an “ask” option.

I haven’t used the newer AppleTV yet. But on the 3 it was simple.

“Apps” is only for age restriction ratings

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Yes.... on the AppleTV 3, I set up the parental permissions with a passcode.

Then you choose what requires the parental passcode.

I chose various channels including the iCloud photos to “ask”... which requires the user to input the passcode to get into that channel.

My thought is that perhaps the newer AppleTV versions would work the same way.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
image.jpg
Thats weird then. I also remember that on aTV 3 you could simply remove icons from the springboard that you didn't want your kids to access.

This time flyinmac means the Apps menu in Settings, I guess:
Screen%20Shot%202017-01-01%20at%2012.02.59%20PM.png

72A4B3F4-6666-4FB2-B79F-3D5177B3BE5E.jpeg A8FE4B38-985F-44FF-88F7-64A20F32482F.jpeg
[doublepost=1533856369][/doublepost]
Yes.... on the AppleTV 3, I set up the parental permissions with a passcode.

Then you choose what requires the parental passcode.

I chose various channels including the iCloud photos to “ask”... which requires the user to input the passcode to get into that channel.

My thought is that perhaps the newer AppleTV versions would work the same way.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Looks like Apple may have removed that level of control in the newer models then.

Probably the only solution might be to log the AppleTV out of iCloud. And only let it fetch locally stored content in iTunes. Though obviously that may not be a convenient option.

Unfortunately Apple isn’t really about options. They’re about only doing it their way within their limits.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
To me this is a security flaw. (Especially considering it can be activated without a password) I’m not sure everyone out there realizes how vulnerable their pictures are.

Just think about all the kids unsuspectingly sneaking around, jealous spouses or just a curious friends or roommates could have access to a whole lot more than one is willing to share!

Can someone who’s on a non-beta release confirm this is also the case on tvOS 11?

Last edited:

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
To me this is a security flaw. (Especially considering it can be activated without a password) I’m not sure everyone out there realizes how vulnerable their pictures are.

Just think about all the kids unsuspectingly sneaking around, jealous spouses or just a curious friends or roommates could have access to a whole lot more than one is willing to share!

Can someone who’s on a non-beta release confirm this is also the case on tvOS 11?
I solved it by logging out of iCloud on my Apple TV 4. I’m logged into App Store and can still use all features I want except Pictures. I’m sure my Apple TV request my iCloud password when logging in.

Are there any features missing doing as I suggest (if so, then I’m not aware of it yet).

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
I solved it by logging out of iCloud on my Apple TV 4. I’m logged into App Store and can still use all features I want except Pictures. I’m sure my Apple TV request my iCloud password when logging in.

Are there any features missing doing as I suggest (if so, then I’m not aware of it yet).

While this may seem like a reasonable workaround, it all depends on the features you need. Personally, I use apple music and my Apple TV acts as a hub for homekit, logging out of iCloud is not an option for me.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I just turn iCloud Photo Library off in tvOS 11.4.1 and immediately back on and I was prompted for my password. Couldn't get around it. However on subsequent times I can turn it off and back on.

I would try logging out of iCloud all together. Log back in but leave Photos off for an extended period of time to allow whatever counter is built in to expire. This is probably a "feature" so you aren't putting in your appleid password 20 times for every feature.

Last edited:

kylew1212

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2017
Huntsville, AL
One thing I've noticed is that iOS allows for "Hiding pictures." Using this features moves photos from albums and camera roll to a "hidden" album, which is the only place a hidden photo can be viewed.

Fast forward form the sentence above; hidden photos cannot be viewed from the Apple TV. Or rather I have not been able to find a way to view them from the Apple TV.

I realize this isn't the most ideal circumstance, but it might help with the more private photos you were referring to.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
One thing I've noticed is that iOS allows for "Hiding pictures." Using this features moves photos from albums and camera roll to a "hidden" album, which is the only place a hidden photo can be viewed.

Fast forward form the sentence above; hidden photos cannot be viewed from the Apple TV. Or rather I have not been able to find a way to view them from the Apple TV.

I realize this isn't the most ideal circumstance, but it might help with the more private photos you were referring to.

Thanks, yes I could do that thanks. but I still think Apple should fix this issue

Reactions: G5isAlive

martin.hanes

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
End of March 2020, actual AppleTV version 13.4, and it's still the same unresolved issue. I'm disappointed that it's still unresolved. There's no user context on Apple TV OS, except for TV+ app afaik. Photo app could take selected user and require password for such user (using iPhone or PIN) not only to protect photos, but also history and suggestions on apps like YouTube can take advantage of that.

I'd love to have photos synced to Apple TV and view them after authentication. Same for others at our home. Now, only AirPlay is the only secure way to do that. 😞

Also, it's been many months since Siri was disabled outside US. And there's no way for me to get it unless I sign out of iCloud account.

kylew1212

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2017
Huntsville, AL
End of March 2020, actual AppleTV version 13.4, and it's still the same unresolved issue. I'm disappointed that it's still unresolved. There's no user context on Apple TV OS, except for TV+ app afaik. Photo app could take selected user and require password for such user (using iPhone or PIN) not only to protect photos, but also history and suggestions on apps like YouTube can take advantage of that.

I'd love to have photos synced to Apple TV and view them after authentication. Same for others at our home. Now, only AirPlay is the only secure way to do that. 😞

Also, it's been many months since Siri was disabled outside US. And there's no way for me to get it unless I sign out of iCloud account.

13.4 added a multi user setup for business apparently. I really hope this is coming to tvOs and iPadOS. If the tv were actually multi user it would be awesome.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
ah, the convenience vs not being secured... It's a pain in the ***.. but one option is t just sign out after you've done, and sign in when you with..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.