Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cycling Asia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
EDIT: the only step that is needed is step 1. The rest of it doesn't seem to do anything. Oh well.

So, you've decided to upgrade to 10.1.1 and wait for a jailbreak. You don't want to go to 10.2 but your phone screams at you to update. What can you do?

I've managed to trick my phone into thinking 10.1.1 is up to date doing the following:

1. Search for the tvOS 10 Beta Software Profile and install it using apple configurator.
  2. Load the mac_portal exploit code in Xcode and run it (per all the instructions on the internet)
  3. Once you've connected to the bash shell in you phone, enter the following commands: (my comments are in the brackets, don't type them in)

cd /var/MobileSoftwareUpdate
ls
(you should see Update.plist and some other files)
mv Update.plist u.plist
echo > Update.plist
chmod 000 Update.plist
chown root Update.plist
chmod 000 .
chown root .

(Finally, reboot your phone)
shutdown -r now
Upon reboot, if you go to settings -> general -> Software Update, you should see iOS 10.1.1 Your software is up-to-date.

I've only done this on my iPhone 6 plus, so other successes would be good to hear.

Also I believe to undo the above is after going to the MobileSoftwareUpdate directory:

chmod 755 .
chmod 644 Update.plist
mv u.plist Update.plist
shutdown -r now

IMG_4623.PNG

Last edited:

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
I just don't connect to wifi and I don't get the prompt to update but I do get 50gb per month so I don't need wifi.

Cycling Asia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
All I did was load the profile posted in thread below, reboot, I then deleted the IOS 1.02 update (in storage settings, that has been downloaded). I rebooted again and never seen any IOS 10.2 update yet again.
Just wondering why all those commands?

https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/4ksj7a/question_if_anyone_wants_to_stop_the_ios_update/

Yeah, I was trying many things to disable the application, and after I had done all the above, the update was disabled. But upon retrying the only thing needed is the addition of the profile. So everyone can disregard this post.

My bad.

sand1303

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2016
i keep my wifi off at all times. i have waken up in the morning before and had a update automatically install at night. its the ONE good thing about not being able to download large files on data

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
i keep my wifi off at all times. i have waken up in the morning before and had a update automatically install at night. its the ONE good thing about not being able to download large files on data
Doesn't really work all that well for those who want make use of WiFi. Installing the tvOS profile mentioned earlier seems to be simpler without giving up or really changing anything.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
Why not just ignore the 10.2 update? :) And its also up to you if you want to update right? I have never experienced any of my iPhones to update automatically..

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why not just ignore the 10.2 update? :) And its also up to you if you want to update right? I have never experienced any of my iPhones to update automatically..
Because it keeps on prompting you to update at random times and downloads the update automatically taking up space (and using up bandwidth)?

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Never had it prompting. Not even a badge.
I have the TViOS profile installed on my 6S and 6S+ and I have the badge showing 1 update. I have to go into the settings app to actually see it though on both phones. I deleted the update as soon as it downloaded.

IMG_0600.PNG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.