Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
i noticed that some of my pics are blurry/unfocused when i view them in preview or set them as wallpaper.. the picture itself is focused. i can tell because when i zoom in, it actually get clearer before i zoom in too much and make it get blurry..

anyone know why this happens?
i tried using that same image on my friends mac and in his preview it, it happens on his too

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
are they blurry when viewed at actual size (in Preview)? it could just be a poor resizing algorithm, or something along those lines. how big are the images?

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
It may be a sampling issue. Does the subject contain fine details like grass or moss? Your screen has a limited number of pixels so it will skip over some pixels when viewed at less than full resolution. This can lead to odd effects. If you want to view an image permanently at a lower resolution try converting it to that resolution with Graphic Converter or similar. This will try to smooth out these effects. Preview is probably already trying to do that to some extent. Not sure how effective it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.