Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themacobserver

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2016
Hi everyone,

On December 5, 2022 I purchased a base model MacBook Pro 14 from the Japanese Apple Refurbished Store for 224,800 JPY.
On January 17, 2023 Apple unveiled the new MacBook Pro with the M2 Pro/Max chips... (side note: ...with a price increase of 14,000 JPY or approx. 100 USD compared to the previous models).

With the release of the new Macs, the price of refurbished MacBook Pros were also reduced.
The price of the very same model that I purchased is now 201,800 JPY. That's a 23,000 JPY or approx. 180 USD price change.
Quite a significant price drop, if you ask me, especially in view of the declining value of the Japanese Yen...
Since I ordered my Mac during the holiday season, the return window ends on January 20, 2023.

According to Apple's price-match policy I am way over the 14+14 calendar days to be eligible for a price-match.
Should Apple reduce its price on any Apple-branded product within 14 calendar days from the date you receive your product, feel free to visit an Apple Retail Store or contact the Apple Contact Center at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 calendar days of the price change.

Nevertheless, I phoned the Apple Store and gave it a try to see if they are willing to bend the rules for me.
The sales representative was very kind and helpful, but ultimately advised me that if I want to "take advantage of a price-match", I should return my Mac for a refund and order an identical refurbished product for the lower price. The main reason: price-match does not apply to refurbished products.

This was to be expected and needless to say, I did not want to go through the hassle of returning my Mac and ordering another one.

HOWEVER, 20 minutes later I got a call from the same Apple Store sales representative informing me that they will indeed do the price-match and that I should receive a confirmation email shortly. Today I got the email from Apple confirming the price-match/refund. Nice!

Thanks, Apple! 😍

Now, compare that to my experience with the Microsoft Store: I purchased a Surface Pro, but then decided to cancel my order. My credit card was charged, but MS says that they cannot do a refund, because my card wasn't supported. What?! 😡 That's right, they were able to take my money, but not to give it back. I had to contact my credit card issuer to solve this issue. Thankfully they were able to get my money back. That was the very last time I did any business with Microsoft.

I just wanted to share my experience with Apple (and Microsoft), in case it helps someone.
Have a nice day everyone!

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Customer service is one of the main things that keeps me buying Apple products. Sure there are outliers that are unhappy with their experience at the Apple store, but everyone I’ve talked to in person was very happy. I can’t say the same about Samsung or Microsoft. To be fair, Microsoft realized they were terrible at the in person customer service thing and closed up shop.

Reactions: MuGeN PoWeR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.