Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Can someone with a calibrated monitor, or maybe just a more skilled eye help me out? Does it matter what kind of paper they use?

I need to print three photos today for my last day of class. I have never had anything printed before, and due to time constraints I will only have one shot at this.

Below is a link to the Flickr set of images I have done for the class:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/be_are_why_in_knee/sets/72157624168567819/

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I'm not sure what you're asking for here. Do you want helping picking out three from that batch?

Yes, of course paper choice can matter a lot in the effect a print has.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Ahh yes, the first lesson of professional photography..... deadlines. I always enjoyed Douglas Adams' quote.... "I love deadlines, and the sound they make as they whooshing by." (more or less).

Would love to help, but like Phrasikleia not sure what it is you asking for...

ps. You should check out Phrasikleia's gallery if you looking for inspiration.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
yes, help picking a few out.

as for the paper, these are just for class, i want them nice, but it doesnt have to be the absolute best.

@snberk nice quote. quite true in my life as well... :p

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Can someone with a calibrated monitor, or maybe just a more skilled eye help me out? Does it matter what kind of paper they use?

I need to print three photos today for my last day of class. I have never had anything printed before, and due to time constraints I will only have one shot at this.

Below is a link to the Flickr set of images I have done for the class:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/be_are_why_in_knee/sets/72157624168567819/

Took a quick look through your set. I like "Fire" the most.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
The class is Night Photography, so are the HDR treatments within the parameters of the assignment? This is your work, so it is your job to select the ones you think are best. We are honored that you asked, but that's the way I think. And yes, I was a teacher.

Paper matters. If this is (was) for a final project, it should (have) been on good photo paper. If photo paper is (was) not required, you still need to use at least #80 paper. That will (would) absorb ink the best and preserve the colors.

"I was honored to have answered your question. I said it's up to you."...:)

Dale

Between a career in education, training in graphic design and a passion for art and photography, I'm often not much help...

Captpegleg

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
The paper issue is more than using good quality paper. The paper and the printer have to play nice together. Different paper gives different looks but the printer and paper need to be on the same page. I'm sure there are lots of folks on here that know about printer profiles and such. I'm not one of them but I do appreciate the effort those folks have gone to to understand such things and I try to do what they say regarding paper and profiles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.