Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I kinda doubt that they will be as sturdy -- lens hoods also help with little slips, making sure the lens doesn't get dinged up. Their example of a £439 savings for a Canon 600mm lens is kinda bogus. How would you make that out of paper? And who spends thousands on a lens and lets a piece of paper cover it?

And...cuz I had to say it...would you really want to walk around with a DSLR and a paper hood? :rolleyes:

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I saw this just today and wanted to know if anyone here has tried it:
http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/

I am going to try one and post the results here.

I looked at using it as a template for a light plastic hood for my Sigma 50-500, but I got my 400/2.8 before I did it and the 50-500 got shelved. I'd probably try it if I could find the right plastic for bringing down the volume of stuff I have to pack if I keep hauling 4 lenses around.

cnybud

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
Chittenango, NY
I looked at using it as a template for a light plastic hood for my Sigma 50-500, but I got my 400/2.8 before I did it and the 50-500 got shelved. I'd probably try it if I could find the right plastic for bringing down the volume of stuff I have to pack if I keep hauling 4 lenses around.

That is exactly what i was thinking of doing. Finding some sort of plastic that i could easily cut with this as a template. I know it is cheap, but I do not do this for a living and have to scrape by with what i can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.