Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
Just moved into an assisted living apartment with my wife. Have early 2015 MacBook Air and an HP 6520 printer. Am on facility's community wifi. Just discovered printer cannot find computer. HP rep said being on community wifi network probably causes problem and either (1) get own router or (2) get cable to connect printer to computer.

Comments on router or cable options?

If I get a cable, what kind do I need? Printer has a USB port; don't know what version. MacBook has two USB ports and a Thunderbolt port. Which port/cable would be best to use? Have something plugged into each USB port, but could easily free up both/either.

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
Any USB cable with the appropriate connectors will get your MBA and your printer talking to one another. That would be the easiest solution. If you need more USB ports an external USB hub would be a cheap and easy solution. Piggybacking your own router to the facilities WiFi could be problematic. Have you tried contacting the facilities IT administrator? They may be able to tweak their network so your MBA can talk to your printer over WiFi. I’m sure you’re not the only resident in this situation. Find out how others have delt with this issue.

Last edited:

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
I guess I have long been suffering under the illusion that USB referred to the type plug. The USB connection in the back of my HP printer does not look like the USB connection in my MBA. Going to guess that Amazon knows what they are talking about when they show a Mac/HP printer cable with two different plugs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.