Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gutter Duster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Mountains of SoCalif
I'm trying to connect and be able to print via bluetooth. I paired the computer to the printer and the computer sees it. I type a few words on a document and click on print. I make sure that the computer is sending the print command to the wireless printer (via bluetooth), but the computer says the printer is off line, which it is not. I believe that I have tried to click on every button or check mark, but the computer continues to say it is off line. I even downloaded the newest printer drivers just to make sure things were as current as they come, but no help.
I'm using a MacBook Pro 15, with mountain lion 10.6.8 and the printer is a Canon iP100 inkjet. I have the Blue tooth adapter that Canon recommends for this printer which is a BU-30. I have tried to turn everything off and on several times, but the computer continues to say it's Off Line. Any ideas that I can try.Thanks from a very newbie....

Last edited:

TC400

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I'm sorry I wont be much help but I'm going to rant a bit lol. I HATE wireless printers to me it seems like a huge gimmick just plug the damn thing in and print it. I'm using a 6 year old hp printer works fine for my printing needs. Picture every now and then a document or two. I thought most printers printed off wifi not bluetooth?

Gutter Duster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Mountains of SoCalif
TC,
I understand what you are saying..BUT...we use the printer with the laptop in our motorhome. It just would be a whole lot easier if we did not have to get up plug the computer into the printer just to print maybe 1/2 of a page. Old folks get lazy. Everything I read says it "should work" but right now nothing is working wirelessly.

TC400

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
TC,
I understand what you are saying..BUT...we use the printer with the laptop in our motorhome. It just would be a whole lot easier if we did not have to get up plug the computer into the printer just to print maybe 1/2 of a page. Old folks get lazy. Everything I read says it "should work" but right now nothing is working wirelessly.

Can it connect over wifi?

TC400

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
No..That is why I went in this direction. I can not get the printer to go "ON LINE" unless I plug the printer cable into it and the computer.
Thanks

I would try removing the printer from your bluetooth list turn it off make sure there isn't any driver updates and turn it all back on. Sometimes thats all it needs.

Gutter Duster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Mountains of SoCalif
This is what I have tried so far. I removed the Canon Drivers from the Printer Library and trashed them. I emptied the trash. I went back to Canon and re-downloaded the drivers. I also downloaded and installed their Setup Utility 2.4.1 that they recommend. Re-started the computer and typed 4 words on a blank document. I turned on the bluetooth and again set up the bluetooth for the printer. The computer sees the printer, although again it says it "OFFLINE". I asked the computer to send this 4 word document to the printer. Boy what I got was at least 7 pages of letter, numbers and symbols. Some as short as 6 letters, numbers, to as long as 7 lines of what I will say is just plain garble. Nothing resembles what I typed :eek: :(.
Still open to suggestions...thanks for your input TC400
Dave

Gutter Duster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Mountains of SoCalif
I finally got it ;) :). I also sent Canon Service emails and finally the last one worked. They had me go to the print/fax window and highlite the printer and press the
"-" button and remove the printer from that section. Then press the "+" button to reload the printer back on. After that the printer worked as it should via bluetooth. Have not tried it on the WiFi network yet, but one thing at a time.

TC400

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I finally got it ;) :). I also sent Canon Service emails and finally the last one worked. They had me go to the print/fax window and highlite the printer and press the
"-" button and remove the printer from that section. Then press the "+" button to reload the printer back on. After that the printer worked as it should via bluetooth. Have not tried it on the WiFi network yet, but one thing at a time.

Thats awesome you got it fixed! I tried my best with having NO KNOWLEDGE WHAT SO EVER on wireless printers lol :p Better than no help I guess. But let us know how the wifi issue goes if that fixed it. I had a feeling something would need to be uninstalled and reinstalled thats usually what fixes most driver related issues.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The caveat here is often "AirPrint" I made sure I purchased a fully compatibel Airprint model from Epson. Setup could not be easier, just enter my wifi network details in the printers lcd screen and it now sees all 3 Macs, my IP5 and my iPad4 and prints perfectly.

Gutter Duster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Mountains of SoCalif
This printer by itself is not a WiFi printer. but it is a BlueTooth printer. We wanted a small very portable printer while on the road. All other printers we have are WiFi connected. Since I was able to get it connected via BlueTooth, as long as the MBP is on, I can connect to the printer from the IPad to the MBP to the printer and that is what we were looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.