Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Naim135

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
St Helens UK
I need to purchase a couple of printers to use at home. The first will be an HP L7780 for general purpose use by all the family also this will connect directly to the home network, the other will be a dedicated photo printer, I have been considering the new Epson R1900 Stylus Photo as this fulfills my need for A3 and CD/DVD Printing also will this work on the network if connected to the USB port on my Airport Extreme. Thanks in advance:)

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I recommend Canon, stay clear of Epson. A Canon Pixma 9000 Pro sounds right (depending on your budget, there is also a larger, more expensive model). If you're living in the US, the CD/DVD printing option is disabled due to a patent Epson has. In Europe at least, Canon printers can print on CDs/DVDs just fine.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

OreoCookie said:
I recommend Canon, stay clear of Epson. A Canon Pixma 9000 Pro sounds right (depending on your budget, there is also a larger, more expensive model). If you're living in the US, the CD/DVD printing option is disabled due to a patent Epson has. In Europe at least, Canon printers can print on CDs/DVDs just fine.

Many people use both Canon and Epson. What facts do you have to backup your obvious opinionated statment to "stay clear of Epson"?

To the op...Both Canon and Epson offer a great printer. I have the r1800 and it has been used on a home network before. I cannot speak for Canon but I understand through reading that it is possible to network the two.
If you are serious also check out dpreview.com as you will avoid unintelligent trolling answers like the one above. They exist there but you'll get enough information between here and there to make a weighted decision.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Many people use both Canon and Epson. What facts do you have to backup your obvious opinionated statment to "stay clear of Epson"?
First of all, my answer isn't trollish nor unintelligible, I own neither a Canon nor an Epson photo printer at the moment. I've had several Canons, HPs and I use HP printers at work on a regular basis (I'm in charge of this stuff there). I haven't owned Epson printers personally (although I own an Epson scanner, solid piece of engineering), but I have used them on occasion (at a previous job, for instance). (My current photo printer is by Olympus, my other primary printers are a Kyocera laser printer, two HP laser printers and a HP Officejet.)

There seems to be a consensus that Canon printers are more reliable than Epsons.

For one, Canon photo printers are a lot faster as you can see here (Epson) and here. Then Epson printers have print head clogging issues they are notorious for: since the print head cannot be replaced, you have to send in the printer for repair -- or replace it with a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.