Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
I have a camera that outputs files of the 4:3 aspect ratio, like many cameras on the market. The local stores insist that my files can't be printed without cropping. How do most consumers print their photos if their cameras output 4:3 instead of 3:2? I have many photos that can't be cropped without cutting off relevant parts of the photo. How should I print my 4:3 photos on 4:3 paper?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
arogge said:
I have a camera that outputs files of the 4:3 aspect ratio, like many cameras on the market. The local stores insist that my files can't be printed without cropping. How do most consumers print their photos if their cameras output 4:3 instead of 3:2? I have many photos that can't be cropped without cutting off relevant parts of the photo. How should I print my 4:3 photos on 4:3 paper?

If they really can't print without cropping and you really can't switch to a different printer then what you do is make a white rectangle in Photoshop and embed you image inside the rectangle. The printer will see a file that is exactly the format of his paper and you will get white borders. Use a grey or black col id you don't like white borders.

The printer I used last time cropped my prints even though I wrote "do not crop" in the instructions. They re-printed them for me when I pointed out the mistake. Those automatted machine CAN be set not to crop

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I want to rant about how stupid sizes of frames are. The size I can get from my actual printer would be fine for me, but the closest size I can get in a picture frame is 8x10. I have to loose so much horizontal detail to make that work. I hate it

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I print with handles (white space) on either side of a 4x6. Generally, on 8.5x11, I lose a little bit of the scene but not much. On bigger sizes, I have handles again.

In Photoshop and Photoshop Elements, you can select "Fit to Page" and it will quickly and easily calculate it so that you don't lose anything. You can go from there to choose what's acceptable loss. If you're thinking about it when you shoot, you can make sure you have enough dead space to crop appropriately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.