Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asu

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2006
Hello, I have installed a brand new copy of 10.14 on 2 computers with clean hard drives, a late 2013 iMac and a mid-2012 MB Air. I have a Canon TS6140, an HP 5740 and an Epson ET-3750. Everything works well on the iMac.

The Air does not have any capacity to see printers, either via wifi LAN or USB.

The Canon printer, apparently, does not even require a driver (?) yet even via USB it does not work.

I'm unable to install printer drivers on the Air because the installers can't find the printers.

LAN and Bluetooth work well on the Air, it can connect to the internet, sees bluetooth devices. It is unable to see, or be seen, by AirDrop however.

What's going on and how can it be fixed?

thank you

Asu

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
hi

the reasons for Air Drop not working will be different, so the following just concerns yr (in)ability to print via wifi.

your epson printer does require a driver.
download it here:
https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/ET-Series/Epson-ET-3750/s/SPT_C11CG20201
you may need to temporarily adjust yr security settings in order to install a driver that is not downloaded from/through the app store.

after you install the driver:
on yr epson:
1 delete yr wifi connection in the printer settings on the printer
2 rejoin the wifi network
make sure yr mac is connecting to the net via wifi
through printer dialog in System Preferences add the printer (your will see yr printer).

bluetooth: Air Print (set up and actual printing) requires discoverable bluetooth. for good measure i would delete any past attempted pairing of bluetooth with any of these printers. no need to actually make a connection between the two; just let them be discoverable.

(good luck. yr Cube icon is cool).

Asu

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2006
Thank you but the issue is not with a single printer, it is with printing in general.

Asu

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2006
Well, that is very disappointing. Going form one version of an OS to the next used to be effortless. I used to laugh at my PC using friends who kvetched about "not having the right driver". The strange thing though in my case that the exact same OS was installed on 2 fresh computers and only one of them has the problem.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Well, that is very disappointing. Going form one version of an OS to the next used to be effortless. I used to laugh at my PC using friends who kvetched about "not having the right driver". The strange thing though in my case that the exact same OS was installed on 2 fresh computers and only one of them has the problem.

To some degree....Macs (and specifically CUPs changes) have suffered this issue on every OS update. While most printers are fine, if one digs around and looks (or is unlucky to own an affected model), there are always a small number of printers that require a print driver update with a MacOS update.

If the printer manufacturer chooses not to update their driver....bye bye printer. Been seeing this every year (admittedly on small percentage of printers) since Mac OS 10.2.

It is sad though, that it now appears to be getting worse before (hopefully) it gets better. At some point, perhaps everything will just work without a specific driver with airprint.

At work we have 3 Canon PRO-GRAF ink jets that don't print correctly from 10.13, but are fine with 10.12. Apple changed CUPS, and apparently Canon needs to (and has not) updated their drivers. Who to blame: Canon or Apple? Will be interesting to see what happens with 10.14. Not holding my breath (not the best example, a beta issue that was resolved).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.