Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfilm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Hi, i've posted this same message on other forums but so far haven't been able to 100% figure out the problem.
My problem is that ever since getting CS3 my print outs looks horrible, real muddy, magenta cast over them, totally not what they look like on my screen.
I've read that other people have had similar issues but never seems to be a definitive answer.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Canon Pixma iP4200 (driver 4.8.3) - All latest CS3 updates - iMac 24" Alu

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
It seems that the printer and the monitor are not calibrated to match each other. I don't know much about CS3, but I imagine that it has an option for setting the images for viewing on a screen (Internet posting, looking at them on the screen, etc.), or for printing. It is also possible that you are trying to print photos that are in 16 bits or higher. Such problems are not easy to solve, since it may be a software issue. Sometimes replacing an application does not solve the problem unless all its files are de-installed first. There are applications designed to remove avery single file of an application. Why don't you get in touch with an Adobe technician? He or she may have a better troubleshooting idea.

I have a similar issue with a brand new Epson Photo R280 printer a friend gave me. I end-up wasting lots of photo paper and ink before attaining the colors I want on print. But don't have the same problem with an old HP deskjet 6127 (office printer). The only thing I have to do before printing a photo with the HP is to make it a shade or two darker, and the print comes out just beautiful.

Calibrate the screen, check/change CS3's preferences, and if it does not work: borrow another printer from a friend.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
My problem is that ever since getting CS3 my print outs looks horrible, real muddy, magenta cast over them, totally not what they look like on my screen.

If this only happens in CS3 then I have a good guess

There is a setting in Photoshop that asks if you want PS or the printer to handle color calibration. To work it needs to be done in exactly ONE place. Not zero and not two places. The typical mistake is that you've told PS to manage the color so the printer's color profile is being applied twice, once by PS and then again by the printer driver. Sorry I've forgotten where in PS' menus this is set.

The default in CS3, I think is set wrong, you always want the printer driver to handle this on a Mac.

If the problem happens in all apps (preview and so on) then ignore then above

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
ChrisA,

PSE6 has the same preference or setting on the "Print" window. One can see it right after clicking on "Print" to print the photo. After changes are made there, the printer settings must be changed just before printing the photo.

Thanks for the reminder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.