Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
Good morning.

I am experiencing true issues with my prints.

Here's what I do:

#1 . Import Raw images from EOS 30D directly into Aperture (the profile seems to be Adobe RGB 1998, I'm at work, and can't recall clearly).

#2 . Export the ones I want to work on to Photoshop. Now I have selected in Aperture I want to proof a sRVB profile I have calibrated and which apparently came with my 23" ACD. Therefore Photoshop asks if I want to use the embedded profile or convert to Photoshop's one, or discard everything (don't color manage).Usually I tell photoshop not to color manage.

#3 . Pop back into Aperture. Click print. I let the system select the automatic color profile for the printer (Canon MP600). Highest quality on the printer settings.

#4 . I am amazed to see that my pictures are disgusting where they are printed. There seems to be a gamut issue, which I would caracterize as "uneven transition between colors", especially in the blacks (someguy deals with this here) . This results in some sort of opaque black, rather greyish. I'm pissed. I payed a lot of money for this printer.

I think I'm missing something out. Could somebody please recap slowly and precisely all the steps to having something close to accurate (maybe while avoiding the purchase of a display calibrator?:eek: ) from screen to print.

Just please give me some tips. I don't want to come up to the guy and say "hey the printer you sold me works like ****" because I'm sure it's my newbie-own fault.:)

Thanks in advance.

:rolleyes:

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
I am a newbie at this as well, but my understanding was that if you want to keep consistent color, set all your stuff to sRGB.
Camera, monitor, photoshop, printer, etc.

I am sure others have more experience at this and will help.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
I am a newbie at this as well, but my understanding was that if you want to keep consistent color, set all your stuff to sRGB.
Camera, monitor, photoshop, printer, etc.

I am sure others have more experience at this and will help.
Er. Printer = CMYK.

Come on people. Additive versus subtractive color theories? If it's ink = subtractive. Additive = light. You can't print light (well, you can, but that's still in development..), so your printers are CMYK.

/semi-rant. heh :p

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
Er. Printer = CMYK.

Come on people. Additive versus subtractive color theories? If it's ink = subtractive. Additive = light. You can't print light (well, you can, but that's still in development..), so your printers are CMYK.

/semi-rant. heh :p

Right, newbie. That is what I said. :eek:

iAussie

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2006
I also have a new Canon multifunction (MP810) which I initially had issues with when printing from Aperture.

My original problem was that my blues and greens were off, but I think that was because my Cyan tank was having problem, which I didnt realise initially. But before that, I did spend a while thinking it was a colour profile issue, so I thought I'd just share some of the steps I took...

- When printing in Aperture, I left the ColourSync Profile to 'System Managed' (which i'm pretty sure they recommend in the manual), and the Black Point Compensation ticked.

- In the printer setting, set the Coloursync tab settings as Standard and None (should be by default anyway)

- Now's the bit I'm not sure about, the Colour Options tab, which by default, isnt "None" i dont think. Ideally you would set colour correction to 'None', but that didnt work for me (since it was actually my ink tank screwing up). I then fiddled with the Cyan tank and for my next print i set the Colour Correction to Coloursync instead, and it came out looking great (cause the tank was working now). The point of me telling you all that: if you havent already, try the same 6x4 photo with the different Coloursync setting in the printer driver, see if that makes any difference.

I believe the main difference between the MP600 and MP810 is the scanner, not the printer, so I'm not sure why yours print arent coming out as well as you'd like - I must say, once I fixed up that Cyan tank, I've been extremely happy with my MP810.

It should use that Photo Black cartridge when printing photos, maybe you're having an issue with that tank, hence why you're getting "greyish blacks"?

As for the "uneven transition between colors", that might suggest its a print head issue instead? You can go into the setting menu on the printer itself, try the 'Nozzle check pattern' and head alignment tests, check that they're all good.

I'm starting to think that maybe its a hardware issue, rather than a software/settings issue, but thats just my educated guess. Are you having issues when printing from any other programs? Maybe give Canon a call, let them know your troubles, try and convince them to send you a new photo black tank, seeing as your blacks arent coming out right, and the contrast with your colours is off (if I understand correctly)

Sorry for such a long post - hope you can sort out the problem!

deadline688

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2006
Cmyk

Inkjet printers are RGB devices. If you convert your pictures to CMYK, the printer will just convert them back to RGB with the associated loss of quality. If your photos are being printed on a 4-color press, then convert them to CMYK. Your best bet is to find out the color space of your intended final output.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.